Deadline: April 1, 2018
The next round of applications for seed grants from Spark is now open. Spark provides grants from $1,000-$5,000 USD in grassroots women’s organizations around the world. They seek grassroots women’s organizations from any part of the world working to advance gender equality and the rights of women and girls in their region.
Spark is a philanthropic network of young professionals who invest to improve the lives of women around the world. They crowdsource grants, pro bono professional services and connections for investment in grassroots women’s organizations. They work locally and globally, educating and training the next generation of philanthropists
Spark aims to advance gender equality by engaging the next generation in accessible forms of philanthropy. They invest in women’s organizations worldwide.
Need-based grants – usually between $3,000-$5,000 (USD). Grants awarded in 2018 will be disbursed in early 2019.
- Open to grassroots women’s organizations from any part of the world (if applying from the US – only San Francisco & New York organizations are eligible)
- Organizations must be working to advance gender equality and the rights of women and girls in their region.
Applying organizations must meet ALL criteria:
All Spark grant applicants are expected to meet these criteria to be considered eligible for grant consideration by the Investment Committee.
- Addresses root causes: Spark takes a “human rights based approach” with its grant-making, supporting organizations engaged in addressing the root causes of challenges that women face internationally and in our local, chapter cities (San Francisco Bay Area and New York Metro). These challenges can include but are not limited to gender inequality, poverty, education, economic livelihood, and access to health resources.
- Meets an unmet need: Does the organization provide a service that is not currently available to women in that geographic area?
- Norm shifting and innovative solutions: The organization should improve women and girls’ livelihoods by challenging gender norms through inventive approaches.
- Leadership comprised primarily of local women: The organization’s leadership should be comprised of at least 50% women from the community served.
- Under $150,000 operating budget: The organization would benefit from Spark’s seed funding with an operating budget under $150,000 USD.
In addition to meeting the criteria above, organizations with the following characteristics may be given priority during the selection process.
- Belief in the Leader: As with most start-up endeavors, Spark shows favorable consideration to strong, passionate, persevering leaders with qualities that make us believe they will make their initiative a reality.
- Risk-Taking/Entrepreneurial: Spark believes in funding organizations that are “taking a chance” to improve their local communities.
- Beyond the Dollar: Would the organizations benefit from Spark’s pro bono services?
- First Funder: Spark takes pride in being a “first funder” and being the “spark” for an organization to achieve long term success.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis, to be considered for the next vetting meeting, please apply by April 1, 2018.
If your organization fits the above grantmaking criteria and priorities, please fill out and submit the Grant Application below. Please feel free to use the downloadable version below to draft your application, but only the online application form will be accepted. Any questions can be sent to [email protected].
Fill Out The Application or Download The Application
For more information, visit Spark Grants.