Deadline: June 1, 2018
The Individual Research Travel Support Program 2018 second round application is open. This program supports travel costs for research visits (minimum stay is four weeks) by mathematicians based in developing and economically disadvantaged countries. This program is an initiative of the International Mathematical Union (IMU).
Please note that all three Research Travel Grant Programs CANNOT support travel cost to any conference, summer school or workshops. The host institution must cover local living expenses like accommodation and boarding.
The amount that is awarded usually ranges between 1,500 USD – 2,500 USD.
The Grant can cover the following costs:
- Flight cost (economy class) from the place of work of the applicant to that of the host institution.
- Travel cost to and from the airport and the place of work of the applicant (public transport)
- Travel cost to and from the airport and the host institution (public transport)
- VISA fees
- Travel Health insurance
As already mentioned, living costs CANNOT be covered as a part of the grant. This must be covered by the host institution. This grant CANNOT support travel costs to attend workshops or conferences.
- They should hold a PhD in Mathematics
- They must be based (place of work) in a developing country. CDC classifies countries whose Gross National Income per Capita (GNI) is less than 11,000 USD as “Developing Country”.
- They should be employed as a faculty member of a university or an equivalent institution.
- They should have already established contact with a mathematician in the host institution and should have a definite research plan at the time of applying for the grant.
- The host institution must cover local living expenses like accommodation and boarding.
- The applicant should have been granted appropriate leave of absence from his/her institution for the period of visit.
- Minimal length of visit should be one month.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) of BOTH the applicant and the host professor must be submitted. It must include a selected list of publications. (Max. 3 pages)
- A detailed Research program has be to be included. It has to cover:
- Expected interaction with local mathematicians and PhD students
- General aim of the visit
- Schedule of research visit (including planned lectures/ meetings with colleagues etc.)
- The Tentative Budget Form must be included. It should be a detailed draft of the approximate spending (see ‘Grant details’ below for an overview of what is covered) on the visit.
- A formal letter of invitation has to be sent by the host institution directly to [email protected]. This letter must specify the period of the visit as well as the financial commitment (the cost of accommodation and local living expenses must be covered by them). It should also include information regarding office space/ or at least a desk that the host must provide in the mathematics department of the university, along with internet access and the information that the host will cover accommodation and possibly some living costs.
- Please submit the completed bank information form in order to receive your funds.
Complete the Online Application Form.
Please note that we recommend African Mathematicians to apply for the IMU Simons African Fellowship
For more information, visit Research Travel Grant.