Boston Globe Spotlight Investigative Journalism Fellowship 2018 (Up to $100,000)
Deadline: March 31, 2018
What would you investigate with $100,000? Apply for the Boston Globe Spotlight Investigative Journalism Fellowship 2018. The Boston Globe is seeking investigative project proposals from experienced journalists with substantive bodies of published or produced work that have appeared in major print, broadcast, radio, or online outlets. Story leads must have a U.S. domestic focus and be of public interest.
Particular consideration will be given to proposals that investigate serious wrongdoing and abuse of power in the public or private sector. The project may focus on events happening in one area of the country but should have national resonance and should show the likelihood that similar problems will be found in other places, including Massachusetts.
The selected journalist(s) will work as resident or nonresident fellow(s) at The Boston Globe and receive support, mentoring, and editorial guidance from the Globe editorial team.
- The Fellowship may be awarded as a single $100,000 award to one selected fellow or team or as two $50,000 awards to two selected fellows or teams;
- The budget proposal should demonstrate that you’ve given thought to how you would spend up to $100,000. It can include indirect/overhead expenses including a salary provision as well as a timeframe for expenditures.
- Freelance journalists, as well as reporters and editors working at a news organization, may apply;
- Investigative project proposals must be focused on a United States domestic issue;
- Applicants must be U.S. residents and the age of majority in their state of residence;
- To accept the fellowship, the selected fellow(s) must sign an acceptance letter agreement, to be provided by The Boston Globe, that confirms the approved project, budget, and timeline.
The following application materials are required for a complete application:
- Project proposal letter that describes your story and how you would go about reporting it, including a timeline for completion. Do you have special expertise in the subject area? Do you have access to internal documents or other inside sources? Who are the potential strong characters in your story? What are the visual opportunities? What is the potential impact? Please make note if the story has special significance for readers in Boston. Your letter should be no more than three pages long.
- Résumé/C.V. for all reporters involved
- Estimated budget (including salary)
- Up to five writing samples
- All fields are required.
- All documents must be written in English and budgets expressed in U.S. dollars.
- All files should be uploaded in PDF format.
- If you are applying as a team, please have one individual submit your team’s materials but include résumés for each team member.
For more application and information, visit Spotlight Investigative Journalism Fellowship.