Deadline: October 31, 2018
Proposals are invited for the 2018 Winter Round of the Simon Cumbers Media Fund. The aim of the Simon Cumbers Media Fund is to assist and promote more and better quality media coverage of development issues in the Irish media. Proposals on development-related issues are expected from media professionals who wish to travel to a developing country to report on contemporary life there.
The Fund provides media professionals with an opportunity to cover topics that may otherwise go unreported, while offering a platform to the individuals and communities behind those stories. Proposals should center on international development themes, including the UN Sustainable Development Goals. Applicants must demonstrate the relevance of their project to one or more of the seven Irish Aid Priority Areas for Action. These priority areas include climate change, health, human rights, poverty and water.
- The Fund is intended to cover costs associated with media personnel travelling to a developing country for the production of development-related articles or reports that would not normally be covered by a media organisation’s news budget.
- Open to Irish journalists and photographers from all media disciplines and outlets;
- Applications will be accepted for print, broadcast and online projects, with a preference for multimedia projects;
- Photographers may also apply for funding to present a photographic exhibition as part of their submission;
- Applications for photographic exhibitions that support a primary project will also be accepted, provided there is a clear photographic element to the main project proposal. The applicant must clearly set out how they will use the exhibition to increase the reach of the project and raise understanding of development issues;
- Applications solely for a photographic exhibition will not be considered by the judges;
- Joint applications, for example between a journalist and a photographer, are permitted, but the applicant must indicate strong reasons for the proposed collaboration.
Judges will assess applications against criteria such as originality, the reach of the project and its potential to raise understanding of development issues among Irish audiences.