Punocracy Prize for Satire (PuPS) Writing Competition 2019 for Nigerians (Up to N100,000 in prizes)
Deadline: July 31, 2019
Entries are invited for the Punocracy Prize for Satire (PuPS) Writing Competition 2019 for Nigerians. The competition is Nigeria’s first satirical writing competition for young people.
Punocracy believes other forms of writing, from poetry to non-fiction, have received great attention, and it is high time they equally spotlit the significance of satirising in opinion-shaping and nation-building. There is hardly a better way to do this than through a healthy rivalry.
Punocracy is Nigeria’s first strictly satirical blog, with multiple columns authored by youth passionate about two things: writing and change. Their objective is to make satire a widely accepted and understood tool of socio-political commentary in the country and to kindle the fire of interest in the genre.
- First place: N50,000, books, and certificate
- Second place: N30,000, books, and certificate
- Third place: N20,000, books, and certificate.
- Applicants should be aged between 15 and 30 years as at July 31, 2019;
- Applicants should be Nigerians;
- Only one entry is allowed per person;
- Also, the entry must:
- Be written in English and saved in a .doc (i.e. Word) format
- Be anything between 300 and 1500 words
- Not be plagiarised in part or in whole
- Not be jointly authored
- Most importantly, be satirical.
Judges are looking for great works of satire, and by definition this includes write-ups that creatively deploy wit, irony, sarcasm, and/or ridicule in criticising faults. Entries may take the shape of prose, drama, news, poetry, a speech, a bill, a letter, a manual, a prophecy, an essay, an advert, or even quasi-scriptural passages. Whatever works for you really.
For more information, visit PuPS Writing Competition.