The Wellcome Sanger Institute Prize Competition 2020 for Undergraduate Students from LMICs
Deadline: December 6, 2019
Applications are invited for the Sanger Institute Prize Competition 2020. The Sanger Institute Prize is an outreach competition for undergraduate students from low- and middle-income countries and gives the winner an opportunity to experience the very cutting edge of genomic research.
The Wellcome Sanger Institute is one of the premier centres of genomic discovery and understanding in the world. It leads ambitious collaborations across the globe to provide the foundations for further research and transformative healthcare innovations. Its success is founded on the expertise and knowledge of its people and the Institute seeks to share its discoveries and techniques with the next generation of genomics scientists and researchers worldwide.
- The winner of the Sanger Institute Prize will be offered a three-month internship with a research group at the Wellcome Sanger Institute during 2020. Travel, living and research expenses are all covered by the award.
- Applicants must be from a low- or middle-income country;
- Be studying a relevent undergraduate degree at a University/Institute in a low-/middle-income country at the time of application;
- Demonstrate an active interest in research in the genomics field;
- Have a good command of English;
- Be over 18 at the time of applying.
- Stage One: Expression of interest
- First stage applicants are asked to complete a short application form and write an expression of interest detailing their scientific interests and why they want to come to the Sanger Institute. Two academic references are also required at this stage. Only applications made via the online application system will be accepted. Entries should be submitted online by 5pm UK GMT, December 6, 2019.
- The deadline for references is December 18, 2019. Only applications which meet the criteria listed above and have two references by the deadline will be accepted and reviewed.
- Applicants will be informed of the results of this stage at the end of January 2020.
- Stage Two: Essay
- Selected candidates will then be asked to take part in stage two of the process, which is to write an essay with a given title. Details of this stage will be emailed to the candidates at the beginning of February 2020 and they will be given one month to complete the essay.
For more information, visit Sanger Institute Prize Competition.