Connecther Girls Impact the World Film Festival Competition 2020 (up to $25K in prizes)
Deadline: January 20, 2020
Applications for the Connecther Girls Impact the World Film Festival 2020 are now open. The Girls Impact the World Film Festival is an annual event that focuses on issues facing women and girls around the world. High school and undergraduate students, submit your 3-6 minute short films that address global women’s issues such as: education for girls, maternal health, violence against women and girls, and a variety of other issues.
Girls Impact the World (GITW) Issue Areas Include:
- Economic independence for women and girls
- Education for girls and women
- Ending child marriage
- Ending FGM
- Gender pay gap – equal pay
- Global health for women and girls
- Honest Beauty
- Maternal mortality
- Poverty affecting women and girls
- Refugee Stories of women and girls
- Sex trafficking and slavery of women and girls
- Stand Up Men
- Teen & child marriage
- Violence against women
- Women and girls in media
- Women and girls in STEM
- Women in business (leadership)
- Women and the environment (including water issues)
Winners will be awarded over $25K in prizes. The prizes include:
- Judges’ Choice Grand Prize: $5000
- Judges’ Choice 1st Runner Up: $2500
- Judges’ Choice 2nd Runner Up: $1000
- Gems’ Choice Grand Prize: $1000
- People’s Choice Winner: $2500 (based on the total number of Facebook likes + tweets – winner will be chosen from top 10 most popular)
- Most Innovative Film or Solution prize: $1000
- Ian Somerhalder Foundation Green IS Prize – $2500
- HONEST BEAUTY Prize – $2500
- Global Impact Prize: $2,500
- Stand Up Men Prize: $2,500
- Girls in STEM Prize: $2,000
- Let Girls Learn Prize: $1,000
- Students enrolled in high school or undergraduate programs are qualified to enter. If chosen as a finalist, filmmakers must provide proof of enrollment at their school/university. (Special circumstances may be considered for youth who are not in school.)
- Filmmakers must be 25 years old or under by the submission date of January 20, 2020.
- You may enter up to TWO films as long as they address two separate topics.
- All countries are welcome to participate, however, due to U.S. export regulations, they may have difficulty disbursing scholarship funds if winners are residents of Cuba, North Korea, Sudan, Iran, and/or Syria.
- Films must be 3 to 6 minutes long.
- They must focus on a Girls Impact the World topic and/or propose solutions to one critical challenge within that topic.
- Films must be created after January 1, 2019.
- Be an original film that does NOT contain copyrighted material.
- Original work should never be a copy or remake of another film. All Girls Impact the World Film Festival film submission must be original works made entirely by students. That means that scripts and storyboards, directing, cinematography, editing, etc., must be done by students aged 25 and under although teachers and advisers can offer input.
- Actors and film subjects may be non-students.
- Powerpoints will not be accepted.
For more information, visit Girls Impact the World Film Festival.