Livingston Awards for Young Journalists 2019/2020 (up to $10,000)
Deadline: February 1, 2020
Applications are open for the Livingston Awards for Young Journalists 2019/2020. The Livingston Awards for Young Journalists were established to recognize outstanding reporting and bolster the careers of journalists under the age of 35.
The Livingston Awards invites print, online, video, audio and data visualization entries. Winning the award helps talented young reporters develop the confidence and the institutional backing to continue producing ambitious projects. National recognition leads winners to new stories, new audiences and new career opportunities.
In addition, the Richard M. Clurman Award honors superb on-the-job mentors who improve journalism by exemplifying excellence in nurturing, critiquing and inspiring young journalists. The Clurman Award is presented at the annual Livingston Awards luncheon event in New York City. Leading media figures and the winners’ families and colleagues attend to honor the winners and acknowledge their role in the future of American journalism.
- The prizes of $10,000 will be presented in three categories: local, national and international reporting. There is no entry fee. Prize money is paid directly to the journalists, not the media organization.
- Entrants must be 34 years of age or younger as of December 31, 2019.
- Multiple bylines are eligible, but all must meet the age criteria.
- One entry per individual is accepted. One entry can be a single piece or a maximum of three pieces either from a published series, an original piece and its follow-up developments or three pieces clearly tied together in a beat. All pieces of the series must be published by the same organization. There is not limit to the number of entries that a media organization can submit, provided that they enter only one entry per reporter.
- Print, online, video, audio and data visualization work is eligible. Still photography is not eligible.
- The work must appear in U.S. controlled media. Entrants are not required to be U.S. citizens.
- Entries must be directly related to current events or include new information about old events. Features and commentary are eligible.
- Submissions must consist of materials prepared in the ordinary course of the journalist’s professional production. Materials prepared by journalists specifically for submission to the Livingston Awards do not qualify.
- Student media are not eligible.
- Individuals may apply on their own, or be entered by their organization.
- Competition is limited to work published or appearing during calendar year ending December 31, 2019.
- Winners will participate in an outreach event arranged by the Livingston Awards.
For more information, visit Livingston Awards.