LUMIX Festival for Young Visual Journalism 2020
Deadline: January 31, 2020
Applications are open for the LUMIX Festival for Young Visual Journalism 2020. From June 24 to 28 2020, the LUMIX Festival for Young Visual Journalism will take place in Hanover for the seventh time. In 2020, the festival will be organized by the ‘Verein zur Förderung visueller Medien e.V.’ in collaboration with the Photojournalism and Documentary Photography programme at Hanover University of Applied Sciences and Arts and the FREELENS journalists’ association.
In close connection to the study programme Photojournalism and Documentary Photography, the content of the festival will be directed at young, socially committed visual journalism of the 21st century which actively examines political, cultural, social, ecological and technological processes. With the means of expression inherent to journalistic, transmedial narrative formats, the festival will focus on current perspectives of the documentary, understanding these as media of active participation in global debates.
- Core elements of the festival will be the competition for the FREELENS Award, which is endowed with 10,000 Euros, and the LUMIX Digital Storytelling Award, which is endowed with 5,000 Euros. In the past, 1,200 photographers from 80 different countries have applied for these two prizes.
- Photojournalists no older than 35 may submit their projects from.
- The submitted projects may not be older than two years or must have been completed within the past two years. The projects may have been created either by individual authors or as collaborative works. It is possible to apply for both categories (Picture Series and Digital Storytelling). Submitted projects must have been created after November 1, 2017.
- Each applicant or team can submit one project for each of the two categories (Picture Series and Digital Storytelling). The project may already have been published, shown, or distinguished. However, this is in no way a precondition of participation.
- Projects previously submitted to the LUMIX Festival for Young Visual Journalism in Hanover may be resubmitted if they have undergone significant further development in the period since the last submission.
- Participants may apply for both the exhibition program and its associated photo awards, as well as for the LUMIX Digital Storytelling Award.
For more information, visit LUMIX Festival.