CERN Openlab Summer Student Programme 2020 (Paid position)
Deadline: January 31, 2020
Applications for the CERN Openlab Summer Student Programme 2020 are now open. Each summer, CERN openlab runs a nine-week programme for bachelor’s and master’s students specialising in subjects related to computer science. These students come to CERN to work on cutting-edge projects with CERN’s collaborators, gaining hands-on experience with the latest ICT solutions.
The CERN openlab summer-student programme is much more than just a summer at CERN. It can lead to follow-on projects in your home institute. It may even inspire you to become an entrepreneur in cutting-edge computing technologies. The students participating in the programme work on projects related to specific topics, each with a dedicated CERN supervisor. At the end of their stay at CERN, the students produce a report and present their work in a short presentation in the CERN IT department.
- A stipend of 90 CHF per day during contractual dates (generally 61 days) is sponsored by CERN and the CERN openlab industrial members and should cover accommodation and living costs during the nine-week stay.
- Students are covered by the CERN health and accident insurance scheme, and are offered a travel allowance on a lump-sum basis.
- In order to qualify for a place on the programme you will need to meet the following requirements:
- You are a Bachelor or Master student (not PhD) with a strong computing profile and will have completed, by the European summer 2020, at least three years of full-time studies at university level.
- You will remain registered as a student during your stay at CERN. If you expect to graduate during European summer 2020 (as of May), you are also eligible to apply.
- You have not worked at CERN before with any other status (Technical Student, Trainee, User or other status) for more than 3 months and you have not previously been a Summer Student at CERN.
- You have a good knowledge of English; knowledge of French would be an advantage.
Candidates of all nationalities are welcome to apply for this Summer Student Programme.
The following documents should be included in the application:
- Your CV
- Recommendation letter(s) by university supervisor(s)
- A motivation letter with an indication of the preferred area of work, and
- Academic transcripts for the current year
Please note that incomplete applications will not be considered. Replies to applicants will be sent out in April/May 2020.
For more information, visit CERN.