Deadline: January 31, 2020
Applications are open for the ACUNS/Dr Jim McDonald Scholarship for Northern Research Canada 2020. The Association of Canadian Universities for Northern Research (ACUNS), with the support of the family of the late Dr Jim McDonald, is sponsoring one scholarship for Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada currently enrolled in graduate studies in the social sciences and humanities as these pertain to Canada’s north and its inhabitants.
The award supports graduate studies in the social sciences and humanities relevant to Canada’s north and its inhabitants that culminates in a thesis or equivalent. Community-based-research, interdisciplinary research and local Indigenous collaboration will be given special consideration, as will those that can demonstrate specific focus and contribution to the North. The research project must involve a northern fieldwork component that is conducted in northern Canada or the circumpolar north between May 2020 and March 2021.
- One scholarship valued at $5,000 is awarded
- Applicants must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident;
- Be enrolled full-time in college or university at the time of application and over the tenure of the award;
- Not concurrently hold two ACUNS awards, but you may hold other awards and financial support while holding an ACUNS award;
- Include a northern fieldwork component in your research that is conducted between May (in the year you receive your award) and the following March or May (depending on specific award). Note: fieldwork is not required for the Gunther Abrahamson Research and Management Award; and
- Conduct your research project in the North as defined by the Interactive Northern Boundary Map
- Academic record
- Quality of the application
- Referee reports
- Potential benefit of the research
- Applicants’ interest in, and commitment to, the North and northern studies
There are three parts to a CNST application, the application form, referee’s reports and transcripts. All three parts must be received in the office before January 31, 2020.
For more information, visit Dr. Jim McDonald Scholarship.