Women in News (WIN) Leadership Accelerator Programme 2020 for Media Professionals in Africa
Deadline: December 15, 2019
Applications for the Women in News (WIN) Africa Leadership Accelerator Programme 2020 are now open. The WIN Accelerator is an intensive, 9-month long career and leadership programme for journalists and editors working in Africa and the Arab Region. The programme accepts 100-150 applicants, annually.
They offer four things to ensure the women who take part in the programme acquire new skill sets and build their capacity: Coaching, Training, Mentoring and Networking.
Women in News (WIN) aims to increase women’s leadership and voices in the news. It does so by equipping women journalists and editors with the skills, strategies, and support networks to take on greater leadership positions within their media. In parallel, WIN partners with media organisations to identify industry-led solutions to close the gender gap in their newsrooms, boardrooms and in the content they produce.
Successful applicants to the WIN Accelerator programme benefit from the following:
- Certified media management training delivered by regional and global experts drawn from the WIN and WAN-IFRA extended community (80 hours)
- Professional skills training (15 hours)
- Gender balance and sexual harassment training (9 hours)
- 1-1 coaching to create a 3-to-5 year career roadmap (8 hours)
- Facilitated group mentoring with peers (4-6 hours)
- Experience in mentoring future media leaders and young professionals (6-8 hours)
- Media exchanges* (3-4 days)
- Job and support networks, both national and regional
- Participants connect in person at national gatherings, regional summits and other events
- The WIN Accelerator is targeted at mid to senior level editors and senior journalists in WIN’s intervention markets.
- Participants must have 2-3 years management experience and be working in the media sector – print or digital newspapers, radio and, in some cases, broadcast.
- Women media professionals from the following countries are eligible to apply: Botswana, Kenya, Malawi, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
There are two steps to complete your application:
- Complete the following application form here, or download the Word version here.
- Have your direct manager complete the nomination form here, or download the Word version here.
Please note: both forms must be completed in order for your application to be considered complete.
If you are using the Word version of the application and nomination forms, please send the completed forms to email@example.com. Please write the country which you are applying from in the subject line of the email.
For more information, visit Women in News.