U.S. Department of State’s TechGirls Program 2020 for Young Women from the US, Central Asia and MENA (Fully-funded to the US)
Deadline: January 15, 2020
Applications are open for the U.S. Department of State’s TechGirls Program 2020. TechGirls is an international summer exchange program designed to empower and inspire young women from the United States, Central Asia and the Middle East and North Africa to pursue careers in science and technology.
The centerpiece of the program is a weeklong technology camp that provides participants with an in-depth examination of technology-related topics, such as coding and cyber security and engages them in 45+ hours of hands-on instruction. The camp is complemented by additional activities such as site visits to technology companies, leadership clinics, community service opportunities, job shadowing, and cultural events. As part of program follow-on, the TechGirls implement at least one peer training program or service project within their schools and/or communities.
As a TechGirl, you commit to 8 months of leadership training and join an alumni network of TechWomen and TechGirls that will support you as you plan your higher education, careers and community based projects.
- Challenge themselves with new questions and concepts
- Learn coding and tech skills from enthusiastic university professors
- Network with influential industry leaders
- Discover their own innovative leadership style
- Create meaningful friendships with young women from all over the MENA region and the USA
- Explore the diverse communities of Washington, D.C. and southwest Virginia
- Inspire the next generation of women and girls in their home countries
Your U.S. program begins with group international travel with your fellow participants from your country with a flight escort. Meeting all the other young women selected from across your region is the first inspiring element to the program.
The TechGirls program covers the following costs:
- Visa Fee
- Roundtrip international airfare from participant home country to the United States
- Housing during program
- Meals during program
- Local transportation to group program events
- Cultural events organized by Legacy International
- Emergency health insurance
Students eligible to apply are those who:
- Are from one of the following eligible countries:
- United States
- Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Palestinian Territories, and Tunisia;
- Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan
- Are between the ages of 15 and 17 at the start of the exchange;
- Have demonstrated advanced skills and a serious interest in technology, engineering, and/or math in their academic studies;
- Intend to pursue higher education and/or careers in technology;
- Have strong English language skills;
- Exhibit maturity, flexibility, and open-mindedness;
- Will attend at least one additional semester of secondary school upon their return to their home country; and
- Are committed to completing a community-based project upon their return home.
- Preference will be given to those who have limited or no prior experience in the United States. You are not eligible if you have travelled to the United States in the last three years as part of any other ECA exchange program.
For more information, visit TechGirls Program.