ICGEB SMART Fellowship Programme 2020 for Researchers in Life Sciences
Deadline: April 15, 2020
Applications for the ICGEB SMART Fellowship Programme 2020 for Researchers in Life Sciences are now open. The ICGEB SMART Fellowship Programme promotes the mobility of researchers between ICGEB Member States as a way of enhancing skill development, acquisition of specific hands-on training in new technologies and increasing cooperation in science and technology and should show clear evidence of strong collaboration between the two laboratories.
Applicants should focus on the impact for the fellow’s career, the benefit to the applicant’s home laboratory and the suitability of the receiving laboratory. SMART Fellowships are intended to promote collaboration among researchers in ICGEB Member Countries. Mobility support to laboratories located in Italy, India and South Africa can be considered under exceptional circumstances and only if the research activity proposed is not covered by one of the ICGEB laboratories in Trieste, New Delhi or Cape Town.
- Awards are for a minimum of 3 to a maximum of 9 months. The fellowship covers international economy return travel, health insurance plus subsistence of the fellow only.
- The stipend ranges from USD $800 to 1,500 per month according to local conditions in the receiving country and seniority of the applicant.
- Additionally, a USD $500 monthly bench fee can be paid directly to the receiving laboratory based on the recommendation of the ICGEB Fellowships Committee.
- The fellowship stipend will be paid by bank transfer directly to the fellow’s bank account. Upon joining the receiving laboratory, ICGEB will transfer the bench fee allocation to the receiving laboratory, which will be responsible for the management of the funds and the certification of expenditures to ICGEB.
- The receiving laboratory is expected ensure that adequate provisions are in place for the specific research project and to make the bench fee allocation available to the ICGEB SMART Fellow immediately, free from any administrative overhead costs.
- ICGEB makes no financial provision, nor can it provide administrative support for family members of participants in the programme.
- Open to nationals of ICGEB Member States and provides fellowships to scientists in the early stage of their career wishing to spend between 3 and 9 months at a research institution in an ICGEB Member State other than their own.
- The ICGEB Member States now include 21 countries in Africa, 9 in the Middle East, 13 in Europe, 5 in Central America and the Caribbean, 8 in South America and 9 in Asia.
- There is no age limit. However, preference is given to young scientists at the beginning of their research career.
- Applicants should be either registered for a PhD or have obtained their PhD degree within the last 5 years. Young scientists holding an MSc or equivalent can apply. SMART Fellowships support mobility between laboratories located in Member States.
- Awards are not intended to prolong visits begun under other auspices; to support participation in courses, workshops or symposia or as bridging fellowships between, or prior to, long term stays funded by ICGEB or other organizations.
The ICGEB Fellowships Selection Committee will evaluate complete applications received by the closing date. The candidates will be notified of the outcome by e-mail as soon as possible following the closing date for applications.
The main criteria for selection include scientific excellence of the project, the qualities of the candidate’s CV and the impact on the his/her career, the potential benefit for the home and the host country, competence, skills and equipment available in the receiving laboratory. ICGEB will positively value any additional support provided by the receiving institute to the fellow’s living expenses (i.e. a direct contribution for living expenses, guest house accommodation, etc.)
To apply, complete the application form in all parts and return this form, by email, together with all attachments to: ICGEB Fellowships Unit, ICGEB, Padriciano 99, I-34149 Trieste, Italy. E-mail: [email protected], Tel: +39-040-3757382, Fax: +39-040-226555.
Upon receipt of your application, and only after verification that all the requested documents have been provided, you will receive an e-mail of confirmation from the ICGEB Fellowships Unit ([email protected]). Please allow 15 days for the notification as the verification of documents takes some time. Only one application per call is accepted for each candidate.
For more information, visit ICGEB SMART Fellowship.