Fetisov Journalism Awards 2020 for Journalists worldwide (Total prize of 520,000 CHF)
Deadline: August 1, 2020
Applications for the Fetisov Journalism Awards 2020 are now open. The Fetisov Journalism Awards aims to promote universal human values such as honesty, justice, courage and nobility through the example of outstanding journalists from all over the world as their dedicated service and commitment contribute to changing the world for the better.
The goals of the awards are:
- Promotion of contemporary journalism as a unique profession that contributes to transforming the lives of individuals, communities and the world as a whole.
- Spreading the word about inspiring deeds of the award nominees and winners.
- Bringing journalists together as a community of like-minded people willing to raise journalism to an entirely new level and to meet new demands.
- Outstanding Contribution to Peace
- Excellence in Environmental Journalism
- Outstanding Investigative Reporting
- Contribution to Civil Rights
The total prize fund is 520,000 CHF. Three winners in each category share a monetary prize of 130,000 CHF (including taxes, as stipulated by the legislation in force):
- The first prize winner receives 100,000 CHF.
- The second prize winner receives 20,000 CHF.
- The third prize winner receives 10,000 CHF.
- Open to professional journalists, i.e. representatives of the media, professional journalism organizations (unions/associations/societies) and freelance journalists.
- Self-nominations are allowed.
- Maximum of 3 (three) journalists from one journalism organization/media platform can be nominated for participation in the contest.
- One entry (one reporting or a series of reportings) from one person is accepted.
- Publications (stories/articles/reportings) participating in the contest must have been published in printed media (newspapers/magazines/journals) and/or posted on media websites/outlets from June 1, 2019 to May 31, 2020.
- The word restriction for the submitted publications is 20,000 words.
- Films, videos and audio recordings as separate pieces of work are not accepted for the contest.
The following criteria are taken into account in assessment of publications:
- Accuracy: ensuring the information is fact-based and reliable;
- Independence: avoiding political and corporate bias and undue influence;
- Impartiality and fairness;
- Humanity: how principles of non-discrimination and respect for victims, minorities and vulnerable groups are applied
- Transparency: how the reporting process was out in the open and the authors made themselves accountable
- Promotion of ethical principles
- Positive impact of a publication on the political, economic or social situation in a particular area, country or globally.
The submission form may be filled out by a representative of a registered organization nominating another journalist or by a nominee. Information must be provided in English.
For more information, visit Fetisov Journalism Awards.