Sunflower Initiative Harriet Fitzgerald Scholarship 2021-2022 for Women to Study in the U.S. (Up to $10,000)
Deadline: February 1, 2021
Applications for the Sunflower Initiative Harriet Fitzgerald Scholarship 2021-2022 are now open. The Sunflower Initiative will award another Harriet Fitzgerald Scholarship in the amount of $10,000 for the 2021-2022 academic year to a woman who in the Fall 2021 term will begin attending an undergraduate women’s college in the United States or Canada.
The Sunflower Initiative, established by alumnae and friends of Randolph-Macon Woman’s College and supported by alumnae and friends of other women’s colleges as well, offers the Harriet Fitzgerald Scholarship to honor one of the College’s most distinguished alumnae. It will provide a promising young woman with financial support to attend a woman’s college where her intellect and talents will be nurtured and where she will receive an education preparing her to participate fully in public life.
- Open to highly motivated women who are passionate about learning and desire to attend a woman’s college in the United States.
- All women expecting to start their first full term of college at an undergraduate women’s college in the Fall 2021 term are eligible to apply. Women who have already completed one or more college semesters are not eligible.
- Applicant must have an unweighted GPA of at least a 3.7 and
- Either a composite SAT score of at least 1900 (scoring through 2016) or 1350 (scoring since 2016), or a composite ACT score of at least 27 with no single ACT score below 25. International students should be able to arrange to take the SAT or ACT in their home countries. For the 2020-2021 application year, they welcome test scores if you have them, but they are making this item optional.
The successful candidate must
- possess a stellar high school record
- provide outstanding references
- have a sincere desire to make a contribution to society, and
- show evidence of strong character and leadership qualities, as well as breadth and depth of interests.
Your application requires:
- An application form completed online, including
- An essay [in PDF format] uploaded within the online application form
- Responses to questions about your activities, achievements, awards, and so on, which you may also supply by uploading an optional résumé [also in PDF format] within the online application form.
- 3 Confidential letters of recommendation on letterhead and in PDF format. You should request at least two of the letters from people who can comment on your academic qualifications (teachers and counselors); it is sometimes helpful if the third letter comes from someone who can also comment on your extracurricular activities and personal character (this could also be a teacher or counselor, but perhaps a community member, club advisor, employer, or other non-family member); these letters must be submitted on-line to our website directly by the letter-writer.
- Official high school or GED transcripts uploaded at the Sunflower Initiative website by your high school counselor or registrar
- Optional for 2020-2021: Official reports of SAT (code 7230) or ACT (code 1715) scores sent to them electronically by the testing service or uploaded by your high school counselor or registrar.
For more information, visit Harriet Fitzgerald Scholarship.