Harvard South Africa Fellowship Program 2021 for Mid-career Professionals (Funded)
Deadline: April 30, 2021
Applications for the Harvard South Africa Fellowship Program 2021 are now open. The program was established, and is still intended, for mid-career professionals educationally disadvantaged by past laws and resource allocations in South Africa.
Harvard University President Derek Bok established the Harvard South Africa Fellowship Program in 1979 to address the needs of South Africans denied access to advanced education by the apartheid system. The creation of this program was a direct response to the strong movement by Harvard students and faculty during the divestment campaigns of the 1970s. The Harvard South Africa Fellowship Program continues to serve as an intellectual resource for talented South Africans, with the goal of providing a “transformational experience” at Harvard University during the fellowship year.
- The fellowship provides for payment of all tuition for the full period of enrollment at Harvard.
- The fellowship also funds round-trip airfare between the fellow’s city of residence and Boston.
- A monthly stipend is provided to fellows, with the exception of those enrolled in the Executive Education Programs, to cover the cost of housing and other living expenses. Housing is usually in university graduate dormitories.
- Open to all South Africans who qualify.
- Priority will be extended to mid-career applicants from historically marginalized or underrepresented groups, including applicants from rural areas outside urban centers.
- Candidates who have just completed, or who have not yet completed, a first degree are not selected unless this degree is being pursued concurrently with, or subsequent to, experience in the workplace.
- Fellows usually range from 30- to 45-years-old.
- Ideal candidates are those who seek to model ethical leadership, knowledge sharing, and serve as a resource to improve and transform their communities and South Africa.
- Applicants whose interest in the program is only in seeking an advanced degree or professional certification to advance their own career interests are not ideal candidates.
Complete the application on Qualtrics and upload required documents as prompted. Applicants must register to access the application.