Deadline: April 30, 2021
Applications are open for the FINISH Mondial 2nd Annual SanTech Hackathon 2021. The competition is seeking innovations on flood-proof toilet designs.
During rainy seasons, ground water tables rise. This may lead to flooding/waterlogging destructive to sanitation infrastructure. Sludge from pit latrines gets mixed with and contaminates ground and surface water (used for household consumption and agricultural activities) at great expense to public health. In addition, the following problems have been identified which make toilets expensive and unsustainable, especially for the rural poor:
- High cost of emptying, high fill-up rate due to infiltration of the ground water to the pit causing premature need for pit emptying.
- Substructure damage due to water level fluctuation.
- Frequent requirement for some retrofitting/maintenance after each flood.
- High need for toilets during flooding (when open defecation practice is not possible).
They are looking for:
- Innovations suitable for high-water table areas (ground water table 1m below the ground) and flooded/water-logged (maximum 0.6m above the ground)
- Improvements on existing systems or completely new ideas, created through: novel design, choice materials, new processes, and/or any other component that can be applied situation detailed above.
- Innovations must address all components of the toilet and its functionalities: separation/used interface, collection and safe storage/treatment.
As winners you will win prize money and chance to implement your innovation on the field.
- First prize: €3,000 + implementation of your solution in one of the FINISH Mondial countries
- Second prize: €2,000
- Third prize: €1,000
- Audience favourite (live voting during virtual event): €1,000
- You can apply as an individual or as part of the group (Research institution, academic institution, NGO, or entrepreneur).
- Participants with technical experience on toilet construction are encouraged to apply.
Panels will select finalists and winners based on:
- How novel is your idea? (20% of score)
- How does your idea address the challenge? Is your idea appropriate for the high ground water table and flood-prone areas? (40% of score)
- How technically feasible is your design, and how easy it would be to implement and scale? (20% of score)
- How cost-effective is your idea? (20% of score)
Prepare your application with:
- The application form.
- Supporting materials including:
- 2 videos (landscape format) of: 60 seconds footage of your innovation in action and 60 seconds interview style explaining how the innovation works.
- 3 photos
- Submit your application and supporting materials.
- Let them know you completed the application! Follow FINISH Mondial on social media and tag them in a post with #FINISHMondial and why we need to come together to address the #floodprooftoilet.
For more information, visit SanTech Hackathon.