British Council Science Journalism Training Programme 2021 for Egyptians
Deadline: April 25, 2021
Applications are invited for the British Council Science Journalism Training Programme 2021 for Egyptians. The British Council Egypt is organising an online training program in science journalism, within its vision of building capacities in science media and communication in Egypt.
This program targets journalists and media professionals working in Egyptian media outlets who are interested in covering scientific topics and writing about sciences. The training aims to equip the participants with essential knowledge and skills in science journalism through series of virtual workshops. The workshops cover basics of reporting scientific topics and writing about sciences such as finding science stories, pitching ideas to editors, interviewing scientists and researchers, and writing engaging science stories.
The training program gives participants the opportunity to produce science stories through providing support and guidance from science journalism experts. It also provides the opportunity to meet Egyptian scientists and researchers enabling participants to build their professional network in science journalism.
- The online interactive workshop is designed to equip the participants with essential theoretical knowledge and practical skills to cover science through written formats to engage the public with science effectively.
- The program provides participants the opportunity to write science story through an interview with scientists and researchers, as well as receiving guidance and feedback on story production and publishing.
- Participants will have the opportunity to meet experienced science journalist and science editor.
- Receiving a guide on basics of science journalism and writing in Arabic language will be developed, through the program, for the participating journalists and media professionals to share best practices and top tips on reporting science.
- Open to journalists and Media Professionals working in Egyptian media outlets (Full-time, Part-time or Freelance)
- 2-7 years of professional experience in journalism or media;
- Proficiency of Arabic language and good knowledge of English language;
- Interest in covering scientific topics and writing about sciences.
Applicants will be asked to upload the following documents when filling in the application:
- CV of no more than 3 pages
- A record of one of your published work as a written article, video or voice record.
- Cover letter of no more than 1500 words to express why you need to attend this training programme for science journalism and how this will affect your career path.
For more information, visit British Council.