Deadline: August 2, 2021
Applications for the Rhodes Global Scholarship 2021 are now OPEN! The Rhodes Scholarship supports exceptional young people for postgraduate study at the University of Oxford, and actively fosters lifelong learning and fellowship. It is the oldest (first awarded in 1902) and perhaps most prestigious international scholarship programme, enabling outstanding young people from around the world to study at the University of Oxford.
Until recently, the Rhodes Scholarships have been awarded in 20 constituencies (representing over 60 different countries). Now the Rhodes Scholarships are fully global: two new Global Scholarships allow eligible candidates from the rest of the world to apply (subject to nomination).
The Rhodes Scholarship is for two years in the first instance. A Rhodes Scholarship covers:
- All University and College fees; the University application fee;
- An annual living stipend (£15,144 per annum 2018-19);
- Two economy class flights – to and from the UK – for the beginning and end of studies in Oxford. Scholars receive a settling in allowance on arrival (£225 in 2017-18).
- The International Health Surcharge, which enables international students to access the UK’s National Health Service, is covered for the duration of a Scholar’s tenure.
- The application fee required to apply to study at the University of Oxford.
- Eligibility to any other Rhodes Scholarship renders you ineligible to apply for a Global Scholarship, i.e. if you are eligible to apply via any existing Rhodes Constituency, you must apply there.
- Age: Upon 1 October 2021, you must meet either of the below criteria:
- i. You must be at least 18 and have not reached your 24th birthday (i.e. you must have been born after 1 October 1997 and on or before 1 October 2003). OR (for older candidates who completed their first undergraduate degree later than usual)
- ii. You must have not reached your 27th birthday (i.e. have been born after 1 October 1994) AND you have met or will meet the requirements for completion of your first degree on or after 1 October 2020*
- Academic achievement: You must have completed (or will have completed by June / July 2022) an undergraduate degree with a First Class or minimum GPA minimum of 3.70 out of 4.0 (or equivalent). Please note carefully the requirements for your chosen course at Oxford, which may be higher still. Successful candidates typically feature within the top few ranks of their graduating classes.
- English language: You must have a sufficiently high standard of English to meet the English language proficiency requirements (at the Higher Level listed) of the University of Oxford.
The broad selection criteria are:
- Academic excellence – specific academic requirements can be found under ‘Eligibility Criteria’ below.
- Energy to use your talents to the full (as demonstrated by mastery in areas such as sports, music, debate, dance, theatre, and artistic pursuits, including where teamwork is involved).
- Truth, courage, devotion to duty, sympathy for and protection of the weak, kindliness, unselfishness and fellowship.
- Moral force of character and instincts to lead, and to take an interest in your fellow human beings
You will not be able to submit your application for the Global Scholarship without prior nomination by your University. Each university has a limited number of nominations that they can make each year. You must register the most appropriate nominator via the application form and once their nomination has been received, you will be permitted to submit your form. In addition, before you can submit your application it needs to be checked by a member of staff at Rhodes House to ensure that you meet the eligibility criteria. Once you have completed the form you will be able to tick a box requesting your eligibility check, the Rhodes House team will then complete the check within 2 working days and you will be notified by email once this is complete.
For more information, visit Rhodes Global Scholarship.