Deadline: July 18, 2021
Are you a Bachelor/Master/PDEng/PhD student or a young professional working or studying in the region of Eindhoven or Paris (Île-de-France) with creative ideas on how to innovate and democratise sustainable urban design after the current health crisis? Apply for the Cross-Creathon Paris-Eindhoven 2021.
The Cross-Creathon Paris-Eindhoven: Context, Challenge and Opportunities
Paris and Eindhoven appear among Europe’s most prominent creative design hubs with a rich heritage of design traditions and innovations highlighted by the yearly Paris Design Week and Dutch Design Week , official partners of this Creathon. Urban design will be at the heart of this year’s bilateral Cross-Creathon reuniting Paris and Eindhoven on the question of how urban design has impacted lives and living together during and after the COVID pandemic.
The health crisis has questioned the principles of living together in public spaces and goes back to the original purpose of urban planning: ensuring public health, well-being and hygiene. Health has turned out to be an indispensable element of human relations in public spaces raising the question how urban design can contribute to find concrete and social solutions. How can urban design help us overcome crisis like these without constituting an ephemeral trend of quickly replaceable and therefore disposable solutions? How can urban design rather help in the fight against global warming by consuming less energy and raw materials while favouring the general improvement of living conditions? This Creathon aims to find innovative answers to these current socio-ecological challenges.
During the Creathon you will be asked to form small groups and to work collectively on sustainable and social urban design solutions, which can either have a physical palpable or an intangible component. This resonates with the idea that you can mobilize design to conceive objects, but also to change mindsets. Extensive recycling and upcycling of urban materials, inclusive public spaces and popularising the use of urban design are examples of social and sustainable urban design approaches.
Two experts from both cities will be coaching you during the working sessions related to design, public health, waste reduction and sustainability. Each team will be composed of four participants, including at least one participant from France and one from the Netherlands. 20 spots are available for ten participants from each metropolitan region.
- The organisers will cover the costs of transportation (travel between France and the Netherlands and vice versa + public transport/biking (if possible) on-site), accommodation (two nights in a hotel for non-Paris residents and two nights in a hotel in Eindhoven for non-Eindhoven residents) and meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner for both stages of the program).
- You are responsible for the costs of any other expenses yourselves.
- Open to Bachelor/Master/PDEng/PhD student and young professionals aged between 18 and 30 years old and residing in the Paris region (Île-de-France) or in the Netherlands, though specifically working or studying in the region of Eindhoven, can apply for this event.
- International students are also welcome.
- The working sessions will be in English.
For more information, visit Cross-Creathon.