Information Communications Technology for Inclusion Challenge (ICT4IC) 2021 (Up to €10,000 in prizes)
Deadline: September 15, 2021
Applications are invited for the Information Communications Technology for Inclusion Challenge (ICT4IC) 2021. The Challenge seeks to foster & scale digital and technical innovations that provide or improve access to education for children, youths and/or adults with disabilities in Africa.
Access to education is one of the greatest barriers to inclusion for children, young persons and adults with disabilities in Africa. The COVID-19 pandemic has amplified this situation. Digital innovations can help to overcome this challenge by removing barriers to education for persons with disabilities.
This is a call to arms. It’s time for a change. Are you in? Register for the ICT 4 Inclusion Challenge and shape the inclusive education in Africa!
The teams or individuals who submitted the 8 best solutions will be invited to a two-week virtual Bootcamp. If you are among them, you will benefit from the following concrete support during the Bootcamp and beyond:
- Technical assistance towards solution deployment: receive concrete support targeting the components needed for your solution to succeed such as marketing, fundraising, agile methods, accessibility, pitching, scaling and business development.
- Receive access to global international experts and guidance by mentors in the fields of digital start-up support, disability and tech, as well as education.
- Receive access to an international network of development and international cooperation, as well as innovation ecosystems and partner networks across universities, organizations of persons with disabilities, funders, Assistive Technology experts, disability experts, corporations and NGOs
In addition to being coached by elite mentors during the bootcamp, the top 3 winning teams will be awarded with dedicated 3 month long mentorship program after the bootcamp, monetary prizes and an opportunity to pitch to Atos Accelerator program.
- 1st placed team – €6,500
- 2nd placed team – €2,500
- 3rd placed team – €1,000
- Open to Individuals or Teams of Innovators, Entrepreneurs, Students, Change makers, Tech geeks, Disability activists.
- Persons of at least 18 years old or above the legal working age in the country of residence.
- Permanent residents of an African country or non-residents teaming up with an African organization.
- Atos or GIZ employees (and their immediate family) are not eligible to take part in the challenge. Any solutions that are already on the market will also be excluded.
You can submit your innovative idea, mock-up, or proof of concept (PoC) if any of the following four criteria apply:
- You are developing a digital device and/or application, that facilitates inclusive education.
- You have a concrete idea to raise awareness for inclusive education using digital technologies.
- You are developing digital assistive technologies to be used in educational settings.
- You are working on accessibility solutions for online learning environments.
Submitted ideas will be evaluated considering the evaluation criteria described below. The teams/individuals with the top-ranked ideas will be selected to participate in the Bootcamp.
- Relevance and applicability: Your solution shall improve access to education for children, youth and/or adults with disabilities in Africa and be affordable, accessible & realisable.
- Innovation: Your solution proves to be new, creative and innovative in how to reach the goals. Existing services and products already on the market are excluded from the competition. Tip: Do your research!
- Sustainability: Your solution is an idea, a mock up or a proof of concept (PoC) but has the potential to be scaled to a sustainable solution and business.
- Potential impact: Your solution has the potential to foster social, economic or systemic change and represents a business opportunity.
Submit your innovative idea, mock-up or proof of concept by the application deadline – September 15, 2021.
For more information, visit ICT4IC.