One Young World – Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs ‘Enterprise for Peace’ Scholarship to Attend OYW Summit 2022 (Fully-funded)
Deadline: November 15, 2021
Applications for the One Young World – Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs ‘Enterprise for Peace’ Scholarship to Attend OYW Summit 2022 are now open. The One Young World Summit 2022 will see 2,000 young leaders from 190+ countries descend to Tokyo for the global forum for young leaders. During the Summit, delegates will present and debate solutions to our time’s most pressing issues alongside senior leaders.
Underemployment and the lack of employment opportunities are among of the most significant socio-economic and security challenges we face, partially brought on due to the youth bulge present in many countries around the world. Beyond its immediate impacts on young people, youth unemployment can exacerbate poverty, violent extremism, political instability, drug abuse and crime.
The Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) prioritises improving young people’s prospects in a number of developing countries and fragile states by supporting local entrepreneurs and job creation. The MFA believes that One Young World offers a great opportunity to young people to become engaged, get involved in and build on successful initiatives and connect with other changemakers around the world. That is why the Dutch MFA collaborates with One Young World to provide scholarships for delegates to participate in the global Summit around creating youth employment opportunities for prosperous and peaceful societies.
The initiative has the following objectives:
- Empowering young leaders to create sustainable job opportunities in selected regions.
- Leveraging the potential of young people as widely as possible for job creation and highlighting their potential as a solution to fostering prosperous and peaceful societies.
- Raising awareness for youth underemployment and sharing best practices regarding this subject.
Selected Enterprise for Peace Scholars will receive:
- Access to the pre-Summit program of the Dutch MFA (location t.b.a.).
- Access to the One Young World Summit which takes place 16 – 19 May 2022 in Tokyo, Japan.
- Travel to and hotel accommodation on a shared basis in the pre-Summit location and Tokyo and travel back to the country of origin.
- Catering which includes breakfast, lunch and dinner during the One Young World Summit and the pre-Summit program.
- Transportation between the One Young World Summit accommodation and the Summit venue.
- Profiling in various media outlets.
- Applicant must be aged between 18 – 34 years by date of One Young World Summit 2022;
- Candidates need to be actively engaged in the fields of youth employment and job creation, either as entrepreneurs or in a similar role (and be able to demonstrate this);
- Nationals of and residents in one of the following countries are eligible for the scholarship: Algeria, Burkina Faso, Côte d’Ivoire, Egypt, Ethiopia, Iraq, Jordan, Kenya, Lebanon, Mali, Morocco, Niger, Nigeria, Palestinian Territories, Senegal, Sudan, South Sudan, Tunisia, Uganda. Note that candidates with a refugee status are certainly eligible.
- Available to join the program full time between May 13 and 20, 2022.
Successful scholars will demonstrate:
- A demonstrated commitment to creating positive impact through (social) entrepreneurship in their communities;
- Proven leadership ability (role models) in their communities;
- A capacity for innovation and value-driven problem solving;
- A concern for local and/or global issues;
- An ability to generate and articulate impactful ideas;
- An ability to work towards a shared goal through teamwork and collaboration.
The application deadline is November 15, 2021. Late applications will be disqualified.
For more information, visit One Young World.