Deadline: January 31, 2022
Have you got a sustainable fashion story you want told in an immersive digital format? Electric South, Twyg and Crossover Labs are excited to invite creative technologists and digital storytellers to apply for the Design Futures Lab 2022.
This creative economy project, supported by the British Council #SouthernAfricaArts, offers South African content creators an opportunity to develop experiential, provocative and immersive digital narratives about sustainable fashion and design. These narratives will help shape kinder, earth-friendly futures.
They are looking for nine teams of two artists each (18 artists in total). The successful candidates will be supported and mentored in sustainable fashion practices and in using new immersive digital technologies.
- Each team will be awarded a grant of R75,000 to develop their digital prototype/proof of concept ideas.
- The Design Futures program will fully cover domestic travel, accommodation and meals for participants based outside of Cape Town for the in-person Lab.
- Be 18 years or older.
- Submit in pairs, with one concept (two creatives per concept).
- Be citizens or permanent residents of South Africa.
- Currently live in South Africa and able to travel on the days required.
- Have some form of experience in a creative technology field. Experience in fashion, design, creative technology and game development would be wonderful.
- Must be willing to complete a self-directed African Creative Economy course up to Intermediate Level.
- Attend all components of the Design Futures Lab.
Projects ideas must:
- Be a digital prototype/proof of concept with experiential and provocative narratives around themes of sustainable fashion practices along the entire value chain (from soil to landfill) and which address issues pertaining to the environment, the climate crisis and to earth-friendly and regenerative solutions.
- Use immersive technologies, such as Virtual Reality (VR) or Augmented Reality (AR). This could include 360 filmmaking, volumetric capture, world-building, interactive worlds, avatar creation, animation, artificial intelligence, projection mapping, hybrid forms, and beyond.
The application form requires that you:
- Tell them about yourself (including a short 1 minute introductory clip).
- Tell them about your interest in the Lab and what you would like to learn.
- Tell them about XR projects that inspire the concept you will be submitting.
- Tell them about your creative practices.
- Tell them about your XR idea. Your idea should express the experiential and provocative narratives around the area of sustainable fashion practices and climate address, as well as how you want to integrate technology.
- Include the XR idea’s concept creative materials – this must include links to visual or audio references. This could be a mood board, compilation of work that inspires you, etc. They want to understand your aesthetic intentions for your XR idea.
For more information, visit Design Futures Lab.