Deadline: January 31, 2022
Applications are open for the AIF Banyan Impact Fellowship for Service in the U.S 2022. The AIF Banyan Impact Fellowship in the United States is the U.S. service-focused leg of the American India Foundation’s (AIF) bilateral Fellowship Program and is being implemented through a partnership with Atlas Corps.
The Fellowship aims to contribute to AIF’s existing goals of strengthening the US-India ties by creating a network of changemakers committed to civil society engagement and equipped with the cross-cultural lens, training, and network necessary to effectively address critical social issues and drive innovation.
The Fellowship engages five Indian social change professionals annually in a global leadership training opportunity in the United States. The Banyan Impact Fellows serve full-time with Host Organizations for 14 months to develop leadership skills and learn effective practices. They benefit from dual professional development and networking opportunities provided by the AIF and the Atlas Corps Global Leadership Lab.
The Global Leadership Lab and AIF professional development opportunities complement the Host Organization experience with the opportunity to develop competencies in key areas essential for the next generation of global changemakers.
Fellows will participate in the 14-month Blended model, which includes starting remotely full-time in India prior to US arrival․ Since many US Embassies around the world are still operating at a reduced capacity, there will be three different US arrival dates based on flight and visa availability․The U.S.-based component of the Fellowship allows participants to engage in group cultural activities like a D.C. Monuments Tour, sporting events, U.S. holiday celebrations, and more.
- Atlas Corps sponsors Fellows on the J-1 Trainee visa and covers most visa expenses.
- Atlas Corps and The American India Foundation also provide each Fellow with a living stipend to cover basic expenses (food, local transportation, and shared housing), a monthly phone plan, emergency health and travel insurance, and round-trip international airfare.
To create the next generation of social changemakers in India, AIF and Atlas Corps encourage emerging leaders with a minimum of 5 years of professional experience to apply for this opportunity. Ideal candidates are mid-career professionals who have experience leading processes or teams and have influenced an organization’s strategy.
Specific requirements for this program include the following:
- Be an Indian Citizen;
- Willing and able to serve remotely from India for approximately four months and on the ground in the United States for the remaining duration of the program. The program starts in July 2022 and ends in September 2023;
- 5 years of relevant experience in the social sector, including nonprofits, social enterprises (including for-profit entities), government (both central and state) & quasi-government bodies;
- Between the ages of 27 to 35 by the program start date in July 2022;
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent;
- English proficiency (oral, writing, reading);
- Able to receive a COVID-19 vaccine approved by the World Health Organization before the program starts in July 2022;
- Commitment to return to India and work in the social impact sector for at least two years after completing the Fellowship;
- Committed to enriching learning opportunities for the Fellowship community and positively contributing to building U.S.-India bridges of understanding and partnership during their time of service and after;
- Interest/experience in community-based development and diversity and inclusion.
Applicants to the AIF Banyan Impact Fellowship for service in the U.S. should go through the same online application process as other applicants for the Atlas Corps Fellowship. Applications must be submitted by January 31, 2022.
For more information, visit AIF Banyan Impact Fellowship.