British Academy Researchers at Risk Fellowships 2022 (up to £37,000)
Deadline: May 4, 2022
Applications are open for the British Academy Researchers at Risk Fellowships 2022. The Fellowships will cover the natural sciences, medical and health sciences, engineering, humanities, social sciences and the arts with applications made via UK-based institutions.
The Program aims to complement and be additional to the work already being done by UK institutions, including through their existing cooperation with Cara (the Council for At-Risk Academics) as members of Cara Universities Network, enabling them to provide additional two-year fellowships to researchers at risk with funding of circa £37,000 per annum. Researchers and innovators supported through this Program will be able to take up these temporary fellowships at UK institutions, continue their research, enhance their skills and build long-lasting collaborative links with UK counterparts.
- The awards are expected to run for up to two years each from a starting date to be agreed with the British Academy. The total amount available is circa £37,000 per year (£74,000 over two years).
Researchers and innovators in any field – natural sciences, medical and health sciences, engineering, humanities, social sciences and the arts – may be considered for funding if they:
- Hold a doctoral degree (or have equivalent experience).
- Are confirmed by Cara to be at risk.
- Are either still in Ukraine or it is not more than five years since they left Ukraine.
- Possess the language skills required for the successful completion of their academic project.
- Possess academic qualifications and can show other evidence of an active academic career (e.g.
- Have not yet been supported through an equivalent scheme/opportunity.
Applications must be made by UK-based institutions. See a summary of the requirements that will be needed to complete an application below. All elements must be submitted to be considered within the submission window. Any missing elements will result in the application remaining open for the following submission window.
- There will need to be a named applicant who the Academy expects will be a member of staff at the UK host institution; a named academic mentor at the same institution; and a named researcher at risk.
- Information to support an eligibility check on the researcher at risk, including a CV, location of researcher, confirmation of language proficiency, and confirmation that the researcher has not yet been supported by an equivalent scheme.
- A risk assessment letter provided by Cara.
- A joint statement from the academic mentor and researcher at risk.
- An institutional statement including information about the accommodation being offered.
- A financial statement and justification.
Applications must be submitted online using the British Academy’s Grant Management System (GMS), Flexi-Grant®. The call will remain open on a rolling basis with monthly deadlines for applications until all funding has been utilised. The Academy will announce on its website when the funding has been fully utilised.
The first deadline for applications will be 5:00pm (BST) on Wednesday 4 May 2022. Subsequent deadlines will be Wednesday 1 June, Wednesday 29 June and Wednesday 20 July.
For more information, visit Researchers at Risk Fellowships.