Richard J. Margolis Award 2022 for Nonfiction Writers of Social-justice Journalism ($10,000 prize)
Deadline: July 1, 2022
Applications for the Richard J. Margolis Award 2022 for Nonfiction Writers of Social-justice Journalism are now open. The Richard J. Margolis Award is given annually to a promising new journalist or essayist whose nonfiction work combines warmth, humor and wisdom and sheds light on issues of social justice.
The award honors the life of Richard J. Margolis (1929-1991), a renowned journalist, essayist and poet who gave eloquent voice to the rural poor, migrant farmworkers, Native Americans, aging adults and others whose voices are seldom heard. He also wrote several books for children.
- The award combines a one-month residency at Blue Mountain Center, an acclaimed writers’ and artists’ colony in New York’s Adirondack Mountains, with a $10,000 prize.
- Open to promising journalist or essayist in the U.S.;
- Applicant’s work should combine warmth, humor and wisdom and shed light on issues of social justice.
Submit the following materials either as separate documents or combined into one or more documents as specified below:
- A cover letter stating your interest in and qualifications for the award;
- A project description of your current and anticipated work and what you will work on during your Blue Mountain residency;
- A brief biographical note; and
- Two to three samples of your work, published or unpublished, meeting the following criteria:
- Nonfiction samples only (no fiction or poetry);
- 30 pages maximum; and
- At least one sample being non-memoir material.
All materials may be emailed as PDF files (preferred) to [email protected] Please name all files starting with your last name (e.g., Smith-cover letter+description.pdf, Smith-writing sample.pdf, etc.).
If submitting paper materials, mail them to the address below. Please note that they cannot return samples.
Richard J. Margolis Award
c/o Margolis & Bloom
100 William Street
Wellesley, MA 02481
For more information, visit Richard J. Margolis Award.