Deadline: September 1, 2022
Applications are open for the Youth Innovation Challenge 2022. The Youth Innovation Challenge (YIC) provides an opportunity for young people around the world to share their innovative solutions to marine debris, a pressing environmental issue affecting our marine ecosystems—from our oceans and coasts to our rivers and lakes. Marine debris includes human-created materials that pollute our waterways and cause harm, whether intentional or unintentional, to marine ecosystems.
The 2022 Youth Innovation Challenge (YIC) is all about how we can address marine debris and empower people to be engaged stewards for marine environments. Are you 15–30 years old and have an idea to solve marine debris at the local, national, or regional level? They want to hear from you! They are looking for solutions that you could implement on your own or in partnership with other individuals or organizations.
A total of 15 YIC finalists will be selected and will receive the following benefits:
- An official YIC finalist certificate
- Recognition through GEEP, NAAEE, and other global partners’ websites and social media pages
They will select 3 winners from the 15 YIC finalists. Each winner will receive a $1,000 prize, in addition to all the benefits listed above.
- Anyone from anywhere in the world can apply;
- Applicants should be aged from 15 to 30 years;
- Your innovative solutions must provide a solution to the issue of marine debris, using environmental education as a key component, aligning with one of the four key areas:
- Monitoring & Investigation of the amount, type, and distribution of marine debris.
- Cleanup of both floating debris and bottom litter in the ocean.
- Recycle & Reuse marine debris into useful products.
- Engaging Communities to address marine debris issues.
The selection panel will use the criteria below to score your solutions and select the 15 YIC finalists and 3 YIC winners:
- Your idea aligns with at least one key focus area
- Includes environmental education (EE) as one of the key components of your solution
The organisers highly encourage collaboration! They ask that one person fills out the application (perhaps the team leader/coordinator), but please note the other group members in your written responses and include them in your video pitch, if possible. And make sure that the submitter is 15 to 30 years old!