Deadline: March 24, 2023
Applications are open for the Cambridge Zero Public Engagement & Media Fellowships 2023. Cambridge Zero exists to maximise the University of Cambridge’s contribution towards achieving a resilient and sustainable zero-carbon world. They are harnessing the full range and breadth of the Collegiate University’s capabilities, both in the UK and globally, to develop solutions that work for our lives, our society and our economy.
And to achieve all this they need you!
They would like to provide you with the knowledge, skills and support to enable you to engage with the public both online and in person through the Cambridge Zero Public Engagement & Media Fellowships. This course has been carefully designed to run over a five week period with interactive support elements, and practical assignments, allowing you as a participant a safe space in which to try out ideas and develop engagement and communication skills which you can use immediately.
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- Understand the role of public engagement in research, the various routes to engagement and key criteria for effective communication.
- Identify ways in which you can motivate an audience to engage with their research.
- Explore tools to craft a clear and memorable narrative.
- Appreciate and enhance the peripheral aspects of communication (e.g. writing style, graphic design, own visual and vocal impact etc).
- Practice interactive communications including capturing attention for transient audiences, media engagement and handling questions and challenges for in-person interactions.
- Learn and/or sharpen your knowledge of the main social media platforms.
- Open to PhD or Post-Doc/Early-career researchers in the UK and around the world.
- Applicant’s work should be relevant to the climate change discourse.
Five in-person sessions with guided learning opportunities between sessions. Participants must commit to attend all sessions:
- Session 1: Thursday, April 20 at 2:00pm-3:30pm
- Session 2: Thursday, April 27 at 2:00pm-3:0pm
- Session 3: Thursday, May 4 at 2:00pm-3:30pm
- Session 4: Thursday, May 11 at 2:00pm-3:30pm
- Session 5: Friday, May 18 at 2:15pm– 3:45pm
- Send a video (around 60 seconds) explaining why you would like to become a Public Engagement & Media Fellow. The content of the video can be whatever you want (e.g.: showing your research, animation, etc. You can be as bold and as imaginative as you want).
- Provide a written piece (around 200 words or less) of why you think your research is relevant to the climate change discourse.
Email them to [email protected]
Make sure you include your name as part of the file name. Note you have to submit BOTH.
Use the format: Lastname_name_Video
Use the format: Lastname_name_WrittenWork
For more information, visit Cambridge Zero Fellowships.