2015 Max Weber Fellowship Programme at European University Institute in Italy
Deadline: October 25, 2014
Applications are now open for the 2015 Max Web Fellowship at the European University Institute in Florence, Italy. The Max Weber Programme is the largest international postdoctoral programme in the Social Sciences and Humanities in Europe for junior post-docs who want to advance in their research and academic training. Each year, MWP offers 1- and 2-year fellowships. Two year fellowships involve additional academic activities in the EUI departments, such as limited graduate teaching.
It offers Fellows the unique opportunity to share their research experience with peers from different disciplines and nationalities on a daily basis, whilst enhancing professional academic skills and acquiring the MWP Teaching Certificate. The Programme not only supports their research but also helps them develop the skills they will need in their future academic careers.
Fellows are supported and encouraged to pursue their research agendas and participate in the research activities of the EUI, and in particular, the research activities of the Max Weber Programme and of the EUI Departments with which they are affiliated.
Fellowship Provision and Benefits
- The basic grant is € 2,000 per month.
- A household allowance of € 300 per month is paid to Fellows with a partner. There is a dependants allowance of € 200 per month for each dependent child living with the Fellow in Florence.
- Fellows (but not their families) receive reimbursement for one return trip from their home town to Florence.
- First-class rail (travel by car is also reimbursed on this basis but requires prior authorization)
- Economy class air fare
- The maximum amount for travel reimbursement is €1,200 for return travel.
- This fellowship is open to scholars from anywhere in the world (not just nationals of an EU Member State)
- Candidates must have received their Ph.D within the past 5 years or have official approval to defend their thesis by the time of the start of the programme (1 September).
- Extensions to the five-year rule are allowed for applicants whose academic career has been interrupted for maternity leave, illness or mandatory military service. Cite circumstances in the application in the field ‘Additional Notes’. Successful candidates will be asked to provide supporting documents.
- EUI graduates can only apply for a Max Weber Fellowships after having been away from the EUI and in a full-time occupation or another fellowship for at least a year after defending their Ph.D.
- Candidates of any nationality are eligible for the Max Weber Fellowships.
- The expected level of English proficiency is level C1 of the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR). Successful candidates will be asked to provide a relevant English certificate. Native English speakers and candidates who have written their doctorate in English are exempt. The following international certificates of English proficiency are recognised by the EUI:
- IELTS – From 7.5 test score
- TOEFL (IBT) – From 110 test score
- Cambridge Proficiency – A/B/C test score
- Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) – A/B test score
- Academic accomplishments and potential. Academic excellence is assessed on the basis of the candidate’s contributions (publications, PhD thesis, etc. as outlined in the CV), their plans and commitment to an academic career as outlined in their ‘Research Proposal’ and ‘Academic career statement’, and other supporting evidence (i.e. two letters of reference). Preference is given to applicants in the early stages of their post-doctoral career, who can gain most from the programme.
- Research Proposal – the proposal must be clear and well structured, with well-defined and realistic goals that can be achieved within the duration of the fellowship.
- The capacity and availability of EUI faculty, be it in the departments or the RSCAS, to provide mentorship is taken into account; however, while having common research interests may be helpful, it is not a necessity for mentorship.
For m0re information and to apply, visit Max Weber Programme.