Deadline: February 28, 2018
Action For Nature (AFN) has created the International Young Eco-Hero Awards to recognize and reward the successful individual environmental initiatives of young people ages 8 to 16. AFN encourages young people around the world to carry out individual environmental action projects. They believe that young people can have a positive impact on the environment and are vital in changing the way we live on our planet.
Action For Nature, Inc. is an international non-profit organization based in San Francisco, California, that encourages young people to take personal action to better their environments and to foster love and respect for nature. Founded by Shimon Schwarzschild, whose personal environmental initiative is an inspiring story, the AFN board believes that the long-term health of our planet and all who live on it depends upon reaching young people with this message:
Learn to love and respect the natural world in which you live.
Do not be afraid to take action to stop or hinder the degradation of your personal environment
and the annihilation of many of the creatures — including human beings — found in it.
Winners will receive:
- Public Recognition
- Cash Prize
- Certificates for outstanding efforts to help protect and preserve the environment
Just as importantly, winners will serve as role models for other young people by demonstrating that each individual can make a difference.
- Eligible project concerns environmental health, advocacy, research or protection of the natural world;
- The project is action-based and self-initiated, and not one assigned by a teacher or other adult;
- The project is close to completion or was completed within the last year;
- Applicants must be between the ages of 8 and 16 on February 28 in the year of application;
- Science Fair and Scouting Badge projects will only be considered if they include environmental action, educational outreach to others or extended studies beyond the Science Fair and Scouting Badges;
- Projects related to domestic or confined animals, compositions or reports will not be accepted;
- Previous winners, immediate relatives of AFN board members, active reading panel members, or judges, may not apply;
- Only English language applications will be accepted;
- Preference is given to projects of 2+ years and/or ongoing projects.
The applications will be judged according to several criteria, including but not limited to:
- length of time devoted to the project
- influencing/educating others
- use of outside resources (e.g. library, experts, media, community leaders)
- degree of success in reaching goals
- the impact on the environment
To apply, applicants who have initiated an environmental project of their own will document it by completing the online application form.
For more information, visit Eco-Hero Award.