Deutsche Welle Akademie Journalism Traineeship 2018
Deadline: January 29, 2018
Are you an investigative journalist, TV moderator, or data journalism expert? The international journalism traineeship at Deutsche Welle offers the training you need! DW Akademie is looking for young people from all over the world interested in a comprehensive, exceptional quality journalism program with an international broadcaster. The next traineeship program begins on September 1, 2018.
The program covers the range of skills a journalist of the future needs: TV moderation, multimedia storytelling, data journalism, social media and virtual reality – in seminars, workshops and of course the DW editorial offices and our correspondent bureaux in Washington, Moscow and Brussels. DW trainees are involved in long-term innovative, international projects and have been honored in past years with the CNN Journalism Award and the Grimme Prize.
Program Structure and Benefits
Deutsche Welle’s newly-designed traineeship takes you around the world in just 18 months. It offers the complete ABC of journalism from live television reporting to multimedia storytelling. The multimedia traineeship is for online, radio and television and comprises:
- six months in total of theory as well as practical training seminars held in English and German with instruction by working journalists
- nine months of placements with various DW editorial departments in Bonn and Berlin, and including a placement with a DW foreign bureau in Brussels, Moscow or Washington
- a one-month placement with DW’s partner broadcaster, Deutschlandradio
- a one-month placement with a media organization of your choice
- one month of vacation
- Candidates should have journalism experience or be passionate about switching to journalism from technology/IT, economics or the sciences.
- Candidates must also have completed a university or college degree or apprenticeship.
- Be inquisitive, open-minded, critical journalists who view journalism as more than a profession – for them it’s a passion.
- Trainees require some journalism experience and above all linguistic talents.
For the bilingual DW traineeship, they are looking for:
- English native speakers with a good working knowledge of German OR
- German native speakers with an excellent working knowledge of English OR
- Native speakers of another DW program language (specifically Turkish, Russian, Farsi, Kiswahili and Hausa) with a good, working knowledge of both English and German.
Complete your online application here.
For more information, visit DW Akademie Journalism Traineeship.