BBC World Service/British Council International Radio Playwriting Competition 2018 (Win £2,200 and a trip to London)
Deadline: January 31, 2018
Are you a promising writer living outside the UK? Would you like to win £2,200 sterling, a trip to London and have your play broadcast across the world on BBC World Service? If so, the 2018 International Radio Playwriting Competition is now open to entries!
Writers from around the world are invited to submit scripts for the International Radio Playwriting Competition 2018. The global competition offers the unique opportunity for playwrights to have their radio play heard across the globe by the BBC World Service’s millions of listeners. It is hosted by BBC World Service and the British Council, in partnership with co-producers The Open University.
Whether you’re an established or a completely new writer, the International Radio Playwriting Competition welcomes scripts from anyone outside of the UK. The radio dramas can be on any subject you like, as long as they are 53 minutes long.
There are three prizes to be won.
Two first prizes – for the best radio plays by writers with either English as their first language or English as their second language. Both winners’ plays will be broadcast on BBC World Service.
In addition, there’s the Georgi Markov prize – for the most promising script, this prize gives the winner a chance to come to London for two weeks and work alongside BBC Radio Drama and with BBC World Service journalists. The winner of this thrid prize will also travel to London for the award ceremony and spend two weeks being mentored by BBC Radio Drama and BBC World Service.
- Open to anyone aged 18 or over and living outside the UK – whether you’re an established writer, completely new or anywhere in between.
- The dramas need to be 53 minutes long and can be on any subject.
In order to enter you need to send:
- • A script for a 53 minute radio play with up to 6 central characters – we are unable to return these, so make sure you keep a copy
- • A synopsis which outlines your play is no longer than 400 words
- • A completed entry form (here), attached to your play and synopsis.
Or you can complete and submit your entry online (here) by uploading your play and synopsis along with your personal details.
For more information, visit International Radio Playwriting Competition.