The Royal Society is hiring a Communications Manager – London, UK
Deadline: December 29, 2017
The Royal Society is looking for a Communications Manager to join their communications department. The Royal Society is a Fellowship of the world’s most eminent scientists and is the oldest scientific academy in continuous existence. With a strong focus on internal and stakeholder communications, this role plays a key part in coordinating the delivery of the Society’s messages to core audiences.
The Communications Manager is responsible for the development and delivery of the Society’s internal communications strategy, ensuring stakeholders including our 200 staff and 1400 Fellows are kept informed. They will need to engage with staff from across the organisation, including the Executive Director, to ensure smooth gathering and dissemination of information. The role is responsible for a range of external corporate communications including the ‘Year in review’. The Communications Manager also provides strategic communications input to a range of teams across the Society and helps in the development of key messages and ways of delivering them to the intended audiences.
Reports to: Director of Communications
Working hours: 35 hours per week
Interview date: 10/11 January 2018
- Lead on the development and delivery of the Society’s internal communications strategy
- Work with the Executive Director and other teams to deliver a programme of regular communications to the Fellowship and staff of the Society, gathering information and ensuring all communications are consistently produced to a high standard and receive positive user feedback. This includes
- a fortnightly update to Officers
- regular updates to the Fellowship from the Executive Director
- update of content in the ‘e-Fellows room’
- a regular communication from the Executive Director to staff
- bi-monthly all staff meetings (including working with teams to produce good quality presentations)
- Provide editorial oversight for the development and delivery of the Society’s intranet
- Deliver the Society’s ‘Year in review’ on time and to budget and work with Finance team to deliver annual Trustees’ Report
- Update and co-ordinate production of corporate communication tools
- Provide strategic communications input to a range of teams across the Society
- Help develop the Society’s key messages and ways to deliver them to the intended audiences
- Support the Society in its production of quality content for the website and other media – particularly email marketing and communications to the Fellowship, including the maintenance of house style
- Maintain excellent working knowledge of the Society’s strategic goals, objectives, priorities and messages (to all its varied audiences) and direct staff in effectively communicating their work in the context of the strategic plan.
- To carry out other duties as directed by the Officers, Executive Director and other senior staff.
- Extensive communications experience in a complex organisation
- Demonstrable experience in writing strategic-level communications (particularly demonstrable understanding of preparing and managing annual reports)
- Experience of internal communications
- Self-managing and able to work to tight deadlines
- Able to lead development of communications strategies across teams
- Strong leadership skills and confidence in reporting work to senior colleagues
- Demonstrable understanding of best practice in writing succinctly for specific audiences
- Knowledge and interest in the communications sector and industry developments (particularly new media)
- Knowledge of project management methodology
- Experience of cross-team working and managing staff and budgetary resources across an organisation
- Working knowledge of Adestra, Sitecore and WordPress an advantage or knowledge of other email marketing and website CMS systems.
- Self management
- Working with others
- Resource management
- Critical thinking
- Managing people and relationships
- Leadership (emerging leader)
For more information, visit The Royal Society.