Al-Sumait Prize for African Development in Health 2018 (USD$1million Prize)
Deadline: June 30, 2018
Nominations are now open for the 2018 Al-Sumait Prize for African Development in Health category. The prize honors individuals or institutions who help to advance economic and social development, human resources development and infrastructure on the African continent. The prize is awarded annually within one of three fields – Food Security, Health and Education – and has a value of $1,000,000 (One million US dollars).
An initiative of His Highness Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah, the Amir of the State of Kuwait it’s goal to shine a light on those making a positive difference to sustainable development in Africa. Administered by the Kuwait Foundation for the Advancement of Sciences (KFAS) and a Board of Trustees, the awards celebrate the work and accomplishments of Dr. Abdulrahman Al-Sumait, a Kuwaiti physician who spent his lifetime helping the poor in Africa in the field of health and education.
The objective of the prizes is to recognize best studies, scientific projects, applied research, and innovative initiatives that have a significant impact and lasting influence on advancing progress to economic and social development in Africa.
The subject for the 2018 prize is Health:
The prize is to be awarded to individuals or institutions who through their research projects or initiatives have made significant advancement within one or more of the following areas of Health on the African Continent that produced seminal impact and tangible results on the public health care system, especially for the underprivileged:
- Combating diseases prevalent in Africa.
- Provision of medical staff for the national health care systems (physicians, paramedics and nursing), medicine, pharmaceutical and medical equipment.
- National capacity building, in medical research, national medical education and medical staff.
- Upgrading and maintenance of national medical facilities.
- Developing national health policies and successful implementation of the outcomes.
The prize has a value of $1,000,000 (one million US Dollars). The cash sum is awarded along with a gold medal, shield and certificate of recognition.
- The nominated candidates’ research work or projects and initiatives must be innovative and must have achieved high-impact in line with international standards for the prize.
- The submitted work must be of paramount importance in promoting significant economic, social, human resources and infrastructure development in the African continent within the announced field of the prize.
- Submitted research work of a nominated candidate should be composed of studies and applied research, published in referred journals and recognized at a global level within the announced field. The research outcomes need to have been applied after publication in African countries within the past ten Adequate supporting evidence needs to be provided.
- Nominations are to be accepted from institutions and scientific centers (universities, institutes and centers of scientific research) as well as from competent regional or international and UN organizations and awards and former winners in the field of the prize or former evaluation members Nominations will only be accepted through institutions or other possible nominators mentioned above.
- All submissions must be submitted in English. If the work is carried out in other working UN languages, a comprehensive summary of the nominated work in English must be submitted.
- Fill in the prize nomination form and send it along with the scientific production works electronically in PDF format via CD, DVD, Flash Memory or via the Kuwait Foundation for the Advancement of Sciences (KFAS) Prizes Office email [email protected]. Applications are addressed to the Director General of the foundation.
- The nomination form and submitted works must be received before 30/06/2018
The nomination form can be obtained from KFAS website.
For more information, visit Al-Sumait Prize.