Allianz Climate Risk Research Award 2018 (Win Cash prizes & trip to Munich)
Deadline: July 1, 2018
Applications are invited for the Allianz Climate Risk Research Award 2018. Launched in 2017, the Allianz Climate Risk Research Award supports scientific research that improves our understanding of climate change-related risks. The 2018 Award focuses on the topic “Climate risk: real-time information and new technologies.”
The Award is intended to support researchers whose research focuses on: Reducing the risk of extreme weather events that are intensified by climate change and Fostering resilience by applying technological solutions.
They are looking for research projects that work-on or build the basis for innovative solutions such as:
- Using social media or drones to deliver information on the extent and impact of flood or hail events
- Improving predicting capabilities for flash floods and heavy precipitation events
- Assessing the risks of droughts through satellite monitoring technology
- Understanding how new technologies can change early warning systems and their effectiveness for society
- Understanding decision-making processes around climate adaptation and resilience on the household, local and international level
The four finalists will receive:
- Monetary award:
- First finalist: EUR 7,000
- Second finalist: EUR 5,000
- Third finalist: EUR 3,000
- Fourth Finalist: EUR 2,000
- Invitation for a one-day Award event in Munich with all costs covered
- Exposure of the finalists’ research projects on the website
- Exclusive insights into the insurance industry’s work on climate change and extreme weather events
- Participation in a discussion round with the Award’s jury, experts and other guests from Allianz Group and academia.
- In addition, Allianz will publish the ten best essays submitted as part of the application in a compendium.
- Open to university students currently pursuing either a PhD degree or a post-doc, as well as, recent PhD graduates or recent post-doc graduates. (Graduation/defense of final research to obtain title should not be no more than two years before the time of the application)
- Research should be applicable to focus and topic of Award
- Innovation: Research project is focused on a compelling approach for assessing risks of natural catastrophes and on how new technologies can help mitigate these risks and foster resilient societies
- Impact: Research project can make a difference on the current insurance practice and/or advance current practices around societal resilience
- Applicability: Research project addresses a relevant problem and is ideally connected to a practical solution
- Academic excellence: Sound research approach and methodology
Application must contain these supporting documents:
- Research summary (Further info in Application form)
- A letter of recommendation from the candidate’s academic mentor (Further info in Application form)
- Filled and signed declaration form
For more information, visit Allianz Climate Risk Research Award.