Deadline: December 6, 2019
The next round of applications are open for the Australia Awards Scholarships. Australia Awards are prestigious international scholarships offering the next generation of global leaders an opportunity to undertake study, research and professional development in Australia. Australia Awards Scholarships, funded by the Australian Government’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, address the development needs of Australia’s partner countries, as well as strengthening links between people and organisations.
Master’s level scholarships are offered to eligible outstanding professionals from civil society, private and public sectors, who on completion of their studies are expected to return to their home country to drive change and contribute to development. The postgraduate study opportunity in Australia, provides high-quality education and training to talented Africans in specified sectors, in which Australia is recognised as having world-class expertise and experience.
Priority sectors include:
- agricultural productivity
- public policy
Australia Awards Short Courses
Short Courses offer opportunities for short-term post-graduate training delivered in Australia and/or in Africa for up to six weeks.
For eligible mid-career professionals, who receive an Australia Awards Scholarship, the following benefits will generally apply:
- Australian educational experience
- Fully paid tuition fees
- Fully paid economy class flight to and from Australia
- Fully paid visa expenses
- Overseas Student Health Cover, for basic medical costs
- A contribution to living expenses
- Adjustment support for women and people with disabilities, if required
- Supplementary academic support if required, to improve a student’s performance
- The opportunity to develop and maintain global links with Australians and other international students
- The opportunity to join a prestigious alumni network after the scholarship.
To be considered for a Australia Awards Scholarship or Australia Awards Short Course, applicants must meet their country’s eligibility requirements. In general, the following requirements apply
- Citizens from the following countries are eligible to apply for an Australia Awards Scholarship: • Botswana • Ghana • Kenya • Madagascar • Malawi • Mauritius • Mozambique • Nigeria • South Africa • Tanzania • Zambia
- Minimum academic requirement: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Mid-level to senior-level professional, currently employed in a relevant field
- Meet relevant post-graduate work experience requirements
- For Australia Awards Short Courses, applicants must be at least 25 years and not older than 55 years by 30 June 2021.
- For Australia Awards Scholarships, applicants must be at least 25 years and not older than 52 years at the date of application.
- Demonstrate a clear vision of how the knowledge gained through the scholarship will be used to improve policy, practice or reform in their home country
- Satisfactory English proficiency to enable full participation in a training course delivered in English
- Satisfy all requirements of the Australian Government for the appropriate student visa (subclass 500).
All shortlisting and final selection take place between January and June of each year. Face-to-face interviews with shortlisted candidates are held in May and June.
Candidates from countries where English Language Proficiency tests are required should refer to the previous section on English language requirements or support. Australia Awards may also arrange separate English language testing of shortlisted candidates during the selection process.
For more information, visit Australia Awards Scholarships.