Deadline: December 4, 2019
Do you believe in an alternative framework of leadership which is not based on power and its retention – the kind of leadership that will dismantle all forms of patriarchal injustice and oppression? Look no further than the African Women’s Leadership Institute (AWLI)!
With support from the African Women’s Development Fund (AWDF), the African Women’s Leadership Institute is inviting applications from African women leaders for the 2020 regional feminist and transformational leadership development programme to be held under the Sub-Regional African Women’s Leadership Institute on Influencing Global Women’s Rights Frameworks programme.
This specific institute is inspired by the 25th anniversary of the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action and seeks to develop a strong cadre of feminist leaders from a variety of backgrounds with the practical skills, tools, confidence and agency to effectively engage and influence global women’s rights frameworks like the Beijing Platform for Action.
They offer a feminist analysis of leadership that aims to challenge and transform accepted paradigms of leadership which keep women from being in control of their own destinies and which thrives on their exploitation and exclusion. By doing this, participants are awakened to the crucial role they play in the liberation of women and girls and are inspired to transform their lives and communities, grounded in the principles of social justice, good governance and accountability.
- Eligible candidates are African women between the ages of 25-40 years based in West and Central Africa
- Applicants should be committed to participating in all activities of the programme beginning with a 5 day residential institute scheduled to take place from February 17-21, 2020 in Accra, Ghana and a one year peer mentorship programme.
- Applicants are also required to prepare a paper on the state of women’s rights in Africa.
- They encourage applications from all backgrounds in terms of ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability, origin, and religion.
- The institute will be conducted in English. Applicants should be fluent in English.
Send the completed application form, together with the following:
- A one-page statement summarizing your goals and aspirations as a leader.
- An article on the state of women’s rights in your country
- A copy of your CV
- One passport size photograph
- Information (brochures, leaflets) about your organization
For more information, visit AWLI.