AIBS Emerging Public Policy Leadership Award 2020 for Science Graduate Students from the United States
Deadline: January 15, 2020.
Applications are open for the 2020 AIBS Emerging Public Policy Leadership Award. This award recognizes graduate students in the biological sciences who are demonstrating an interest and aptitude for working at the intersection of science and policy.
Are you a science graduate student looking to make a difference in science policy and funding? This is for you.
Recipients of the AIBS Emerging Public Policy Leadership Award receive:
- A trip to Washington, DC, to participate in the AIBS Congressional Visits Day, an annual event where scientists meet with lawmakers to advocate for federal investment in the biological sciences, with a primary focus on the National Science Foundation. The event will be held in the spring of 2020 (likely in March or April). Domestic travel and hotel expenses are paid for the winners.
- Policy and communications training, including information on the legislative process and trends in federal science funding, and how to engage with policymakers and the news media.
- Meetings with lawmakers to discuss the importance of federal investment in the biological sciences.
- A one-year AIBS membership, including a subscription to the journal BioScience and a copy of “Communicating Science: A Primer for Working with the Media.”
- The 2020 award is open to U.S. citizens and U.S. permanent residents
- Applicants must be enrolled in a graduate degree program in the biological sciences, science education, or a closely allied field.
- Applicants should have a demonstrated interest in and commitment to science policy and/or science education policy.
- Prior recipients, including Honorable Mentions, are not eligible for the award.
- Send a cover letter, statement, resume, and letter of reference to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 05:00 PM Eastern Time on Wednesday, January 15, 2020.
- The subject line of the e-mail must include “EPPLA 2020” and the applicant’s name.
- All documents should be included as an attachment(s), with each file named as applicant_name_document (e.g., Sarah_Smith_Resume.pdf). A single PDF document is preferred.
For more information, visit AIBS Award.