BBC World Service International Podcast Competition 2021
Deadline: January 22, 2021
Do you have a brilliant idea for a podcast? Apply for the BBC World Service International Podcast Competition 2021. They are looking for the most creative, interesting and original podcast idea, which can be a success around the world. They’re particularly interested in ideas that resonate with women.
A podcast is an audio show, but you can download it and listen whenever you like. Podcasts are free from the restraints of traditional radio programs: they can be any length, and they often have quite a personal, intimate tone, as many people like to listen to them on their own with headphones. They can be about anything, and any format – from discussion and debates, informal chats to investigative journalism and documentaries.
- The winning idea will become a BBC World Service podcast. You will produce it with the support of a BBC production team.
- Open to people living in Nigeria, Kenya and South Africa.
- You must be 18 years old or over, not already a professional in broadcast media or podcasting, and the idea you submit must not already exist as a podcast.
- The idea must be original, i.e. it cannot be an already existing podcast or radio show.
- Entries which do not adhere to the full Terms and Conditions will be disqualified.
Entries will be judged on the following criteria:
- Suitability to work as a podcast – first and foremost, will the idea work as a podcast? Does this idea have the ability to become a brilliant podcast? Podcasts aren’t the same as radio programs – does the idea have the correct tone and feel to work as a podcast? Will it attract a podcast audience?
- Distinctiveness – how original and creative is the idea? Is it unique?
- Resonance for international audiences – to what extent will the idea appeal to audiences around the world?
- Resonance for women – how successfully and creatively does the idea reflect women’s lives? Is it likely to appeal to women?
- BBC Editorial Guidelines – does the podcast meet the BBC’s editorial standards, including impartiality?
- Retention – is the idea likely to retain an audience? Will listeners be compelled to listen to episodes through to the end and to return for subsequent episodes? Will they want to recommend it to friends?
- Practicality – how likely is it the podcast will be possible to make in terms of access required or whether it works to a realistic timescale?
- Still relevant – the podcast mustn’t feel dated by later this year or beyond
- BBC World Service – does the podcast fulfil the BBC World Service’s global remit?
- Potential to be more than one season – does the idea have longevity?
- Scripted comedy or drama ideas will not be considered for this competition.
- The entry must fulfil the Terms and Conditions.
To apply, you will need to complete an online application form with a summary of your original podcast idea and upload a 2 minute piece of audio in which you describe what makes it distinctive.
The competition closing date for submissions is 1300 GMT, January 22, 2021.
For more information, visit BBC.