Louise Behan Reporting Grant 2022 for Science Journalists
Deadline: March 31, 2022
Applications are open for the Louise Behan Reporting Grant 2022. If you live in a lower income country and are passionate about a science story you are pursuing, apply for a Louise Behan Reporting Grant to help you reach your goal.
As part of the World Federation of Science Journalists (WFSJ) longstanding commitment to training journalists in all parts of the world, this initiative supports those in the Global South who are reporting on matters of interest in their country or region.
This support is intended to enhance the career of each recipient, as well as to enhance the quality of science journalism in the recipient’s country. It is an objective that was strongly held by the late Louise Behan, who spent her career with Canada’s International Development Research Centre and provided money from her estate to create this grant program.
- Depending on the volume and quality of entries, two or three awards of between US$750 and US$1,000 will be made annually.
- To qualify, you must be working in a country the World Bank defines as lower income.
- Extensive experience in science reporting is not essential, but you will be asked to provide links to any material that you have published or broadcast during the course of your career.
- Your proposal does not need to be new; it could be an addition to work you have already begun or completed.
- Your work can be in print, radio, television, or some form of online presentation, but above all, it must meet the basic criteria of science journalism. This means you are operating independently of any non-media organization that could influence your reporting. Your work should also emphasize themes of science, technology, or medicine above other aspects of your narrative, which should be based on information drawn from original interviews you have conducted with people working in the field.
To apply, send a brief message with your expression of interest to [email protected] The WFSJ will be pleased to send you an application form you can fill out in detail.
All expressions of interest should be submitted before March 31, 2022. An international panel of science journalists will review all entries and the successful applicants will be announced by April 30, 2022.
For more information, visit Louise Behan Reporting Grant.