Vilcek Prizes for Creative Promise in Biomedical Science 2023 (up to $50,000)
Deadline: June 10, 2022
Applications are open for the Vilcek Prizes for Creative Promise in Biomedical Science 2023. The Vilcek Foundation will award three Creative Promise Prizes of $50,000 each to young, immigrant biomedical scientists who demonstrate outstanding early achievement.
The Vilcek Prizes for Creative Promise support emerging to mid-career immigrant professionals who have demonstrated exceptional achievements early in their careers. The Vilcek Foundation raises awareness of immigrant contributions in the United States and fosters appreciation of the arts and sciences.
- Unrestricted cash prize of $50,000 is awarded to each prize winner.
- Reflect on how your experience as an immigrant has shaped your success.
- Receive an invaluable endorsement of your contributions to biomedical science from leaders in your field.
- Winners are featured in a public relations campaign that promotes their work.
- Have been born outside the United States of America to non-American parents.
- Not be more than 38 years old as of December 31, 2022 (born on or after January 1, 1984). Exceptions will be made for applicants who were born on or after January 1, 1982 and experienced career interruptions due to caregiving, medical, military or parental leave.
- Have lived in the United States for at least four years (or immigrated to the United States on or before December 31, 2018).
- Be one of the following: a naturalized citizen or a permanent resident of the United States; a H-1B or O-1 visa holder with a valid visa stamp; a H-4 visa holder with a valid EAD card; a recipient of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) relief; an asylee or an asylum seeker who has applied for asylum and has a valid EAD card.
- Have earned a doctoral degree (MD, PhD, or equivalent).
- Hold a full-time position at an academic institution or other organization. Eligible positions include: assistant or associate professor, or equivalent independent position.
- Be directly responsible for the design and execution of the entire work submitted for consideration and have at least one publication as corresponding author.
- Intend to pursue a professional career in the United States.
- Not be a past recipient of the Vilcek Prizes for Creative Promise.
To apply, you will be required to:
- Provide personal information.
- Upload a PDF of your CV.
- Upload a PDF with documentation of your valid immigration status and your date of birth.
- Provide information on authored publications. The jury puts the greatest value on publications on which you are the corresponding author.
- Complete three essay questions
- Describe your role in the conceptualization, research and writing that resulted in the articles you submitted. They are interested in the scientific insights you developed, the evolution of your research approaches and strategies, and any technological innovations you may have made. What is the major significance of your work in the general context of biomedical science? (3,500 characters maximum)
- Reflect briefly on your background and experiences in developing your scientific knowledge, talents and skills. Indicate what you have done personally and professionally that demonstrates your creativity and productivity. Feel free to make mention of any individual who has played a significant role in your personal development or in regard to your work. In addition, tell them about your future goals and what you are interested in accomplishing in your career. (3,500 characters maximum)
- Describe the circumstances of your immigration to the United States. (1,500 characters maximum)
- Request two letters of recommendation by providing the names and contact information of recommenders.
- Sign an age exception self-attestation if you were born on or after January 1, 1982.
For more information, visit Vilcek Prizes.