IWMF Elizabeth Neuffer Fellowship 2023 for Female journalists
Deadline: April 15, 2022
Applications for the IWMF Elizabeth Neuffer Fellowship 2023 are now open. The Elizabeth Neuffer Fellowship provides academic and professional opportunities to advance the reporting skills of women and nonbinary journalists who focus on human rights and social justice.
The Fellowship was created in memory of The Boston Globe correspondent and IWMF Courage in Journalism Award (1998) winner Elizabeth Neuffer, who died while reporting in Iraq on May 9, 2003. In collaboration with Neuffer’s family and friends, the IWMF started this program to honor Neuffer’s legacy while advancing her work in the fields of human rights and social justice.
The Fellow will complete research and coursework at MIT’s Center for International Studies and journalism internships at The Boston Globe and The New York Times. The flexible structure of the program will provide the fellow with opportunities to pursue academic research and hone her reporting skills. Past fellows have taken advantage of opportunities to publish work under their byline through various media outlets.
- Open to women, non-binary and gender non-conforming journalists whose work focuses on human rights and social justice issues.
- All applicants for the Neuffer Fellowship must be working journalists with at least three years of full-time, professional journalism experience. Internships and journalism-related work completed as a university student do not count as professional experience. Applicants may be affiliated or freelance journalists.
- Journalists from any country around the world are eligible to apply. However, applicants must speak, read, and write English fluently in order to fully participate in and benefit from the Fellowship.
Elizabeth Neuffer Fellowship Schedule:
- June 2022: Elizabeth Neuffer Fellow will be selected
- January 2023: Fellowship begins in Boston with an internship at the Boston Globe and research/coursework at MIT’s Center for International Studies
- May 2023: Fellow moves to New York for internship at The New York Times
- June 2023: Fellowship ends
For more information, visit Elizabeth Neuffer Fellowship.