Vilcek Prizes for Creative Promise in Music 2023 (up to $50,000)
Deadline: June 10, 2022
Applications for the Vilcek Prizes for Creative Promise in Music 2022-2023 are now open. The Vilcek Foundation will award three Creative Promise Prizes of $50,000 each to young, immigrant musicians who demonstrate outstanding early achievement in music.
The Vilcek Prizes for Creative Promise support emerging to mid-career immigrant professionals who have demonstrated exceptional achievements early in their careers. The Vilcek Foundation raises awareness of immigrant contributions in the United States and fosters appreciation of the arts and sciences.
- Unrestricted cash prize of $50,000 is awarded to each prize winner
- Reflect on how your experience as an immigrant has shaped your success
- Receive an invaluable endorsement from leaders in your field
- Receive a comprehensive public relations campaign to promote you and your work
- Have been born outside the United States of America to non-American parents.
- Not be more than 38 years old as of December 31, 2022 (born on or after January 1, 1984). Exceptions will be made for applicants who were born on or after January 1, 1982 and experienced career interruptions due to medical, military, parental or caregiving leave.
- Have lived in the United States for at least four years (or immigrated to the United States on or before December 31, 2018).
- Be one of the following: a naturalized citizen or a permanent resident of the United States; a H-1B or O-1 visa holder with a valid visa stamp; a H-4 visa holder with a valid EAD card; a recipient of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) relief; an asylee or an asylum seeker who has applied for asylum and has a valid EAD card.
- Have at least five years of professional experience in music.
- Not be enrolled as a full-time student.
- Have released at least three singles or albums on major or independent labels.
- Have lived in the United States for a total of at least four years.
- Intend to pursue a career in the United States.
- Not be a past recipient of the Vilcek Prizes for Creative Promise in any category.
You will be required to:
- Provide personal information.
- Upload a PDF of your CV with a history of performances and other professional activities.
- Upload a PDF with documentation of your valid immigration status and your date of birth.
- Provide URL links of up to five work samples that do not exceed 15 minutes in total.
- Provide up to five press clippings about your work.
- Complete three essay questions
- Describe your most important projects. They are interested in learning about the intention behind each of those projects, your artistic foundations, and creative approaches you developed based on your personal or professional path. (2,000 characters max)
- What do you hope to achieve through your work and how do you think it contributes to the development of music as an art form? (2,000 characters max)
- Describe the circumstances of your immigration to the United States and how your experience as an immigrant informs and enriches your approach to music. (1,500 characters max)
- Provide the names and contact information of two references.
- Sign an age requirement self-attestation if you were born on or after January 1, 1982.
For more information, visit Vilcek Prizes.