Deadline: March 30, 2023
Applications are open for the ASEM-DUO-Belgium/Wallonia-Brussels Fellowship Programme 2023/2024. The DUO-Belgium/Wallonia-Brussels Fellowship Programme was established in 2014 with the aim of promoting exchanges of professors between Belgium/Wallonia-Brussels and 22 Asian countries on a balanced and permanent basis. In this respect, DUO-Belgium/Wallonia-Brussels requires that a PAIR (two persons) of professors be exchanged in the framework of a cooperative project.
Generally, the ASEM-DUO Fellowship Programme aims at:
- Promoting balanced mobility of higher education professors between the two regions;
- Setting up regular exchange programmes between HEIs;
- Reinforcing cooperation and dialogue across both regions.
The list of partner countries is: Australia, Bangladesh, Brunei, Cambodia, China, India, Indonesia, Japan, Kazakhstan, South Korea, Laos, Malaysia, Mongolia, Myanmar, New Zealand, Pakistan, Philippines, Russia, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, and Vietnam.
- The total amount of the 2023-2024 ASEM-DUO Belgium/Wallonia-Brussels Fellowship Programme is €50,000.
- The amount of the grant awarded to the pair of professors is a fixed amount of €5,000 to be shared between the two professors according to a distribution key agreed in the agreement (e.g. €2,500 per person).
- Applications should be submitted by a pair of academic or scientific staff from higher education institutions, one from the FWB and one from Asia;
- Candidates must be remunerated by their respective institutions and it must be their main occupation (full or part-time (50%));
- The Wallonia-Brussels and Asian HEIs must be recognized/accredited by the competent authorities in the field of higher education;
- The Asian institution must be located in one of the following countries: Australia, Bangladesh, Brunei, Cambodia, China, India, Indonesia, Japan, Kazakhstan, South Korea, Laos, Malaysia, Mongolia, Myanmar, New Zealand, Pakistan, Philippines, Russia, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam ;
- The Wallonia-Brussels and Asian HEIs must signed a cooperation agreement or must have expressed the intention to sign one in the two following years;
- The call is open to all disciplines. The two members of the duo do not have to belong to the same disciplines;
- The citizenship of the professors is not a criterion for eligibility.
ARES selects beneficiaries of the ASEM-DUO Wallonia Brussels Fellowship Programme based on the following criteria:
- The scientific, academic or artistic quality of the submitted project;
- The originality of the project;
- The scientific, academic or artistic quality of the applicants (e.g. publications, publications with the partner institution, research or artistic project, exhibitions, work experience, competitions, academic background, etc.);
- The expected impact of the grant on the work and professional career of the applicant;
- The expected impact of the grant on the applicant’s institution;
- The explanation for the duration of the trip;
- The quality of bilateral relations between the Wallonia-Brussels institution and the Asian partner;
- The relevance of financial support for the applicants;
- The complementarity of the projects submitted between the members of the duo (if the projects are different).
The following documents are required for application:
- The 2023/24 application form duly completed by both candidates (available on the ARES website and on the ASEM-DUO website). The form must be typewritten and in PDF format. Authenticated electronic signatures of PDF documents are allowed;
- A copy of the academic cooperation agreement (Memorandum of Understanding) between the FWB institution and the Asian institutions or, in the absence of an MoU, a declaration of intent, i.e. a letter co-signed (or two separate letters signed) by the authorities of the two institutions, or their representatives, mentioning the intention of both parties to sign an inter-institutional agreement within the next two years;
- The passport copies or the national identity card of the two applicants;
- A CV of no more than 5 pages for each applicant, emphasizing work experience relevant to the ASEM-DUO programme.
The application must be submitted as one single document in PDF format to ARES by the FWB institution applying, via the contact person indicated in the application form (e.g. the international relations officer) at the following e-mail address: [email protected]
If the candidate is not able to send the application file by email, then it will have to be sent by mail to the following address:
Académie de Recherche et d’Enseignement Supérieur — ARES
Direction des relations internationales
Rue Royale 180 – 1000 Bruxelles (Belgique)
For more information, visit DUO-Belgium/Wallonia-Brussels Fellowship.