Deadline: August 12, 2014
Applications are now accepted for the 2014 Climate Change Journalism Fellowships. The Climate Change Journalism Virtual Fellowship, is a joint program of the United Nations Foundation and the International Center for Journalists (ICFJ), that gives professional journalists who do not regularly cover the environment the opportunity to speak with high-level, global experts on climate change and its effects on our environment, health and economies.
10 Journalists from Europe, Asia and Africa will be chosen to participate in a multi-topic webinar that will be held on Sept. 3, 2014, giving the selected Climate Change Journalism Fellows access to leading scientific experts and environmental journalists around the world. The discussion will focus on key topics that will be addressed during the United Nations Climate Summit on Sept. 23, 2014.
In addition to the high-level briefings, selected journalists will learn how to report on climate issues from a variety of angles, incorporating data into their stories to produce evidence-based coverage of this critical issue and its growing impact.
These fellowship will help the journalists develop a better understanding of this complex topic and inspire follow-up reporting on the issue during and after the United Nations Climate Summit on September 23, 2014
Expectations and Benefits
After the virtual briefings, the selected journalists will be asked to submit story ideas based on the information they learned during the online event.
The three journalists with the best ideas will each receive a $1,000 story grant to pursue reporting on climate change in their regions. These reporting projects must be completed by December 1, 2014.
- Journalists based in Europe, Asia or Africa who work full-time for a local or international news outlet (print, online, and/or broadcast)
- Preference will be given to journalists who do not regularly cover climate change and the environment
- Fluency in English is required
- Written commitment from employer to publish at least one story after the fellowship that is related to climate change and its impact
- Written commitment from applicant to participate in the full program of virtual briefings on September 3, 2014
For more information and to apply, visit Climate Change Journalism Fellowship.