2015 American Cancer Society International Fellowships – $50,000 Stipend
Deadline: November 1, 2014
The Union for International Cancer Control (UICC) is now accepting proposals for the 2015 American Cancer Society International Fellowships for Beginning Investigators (ACSBI). This is an opportunity to kickstart or advance your research career with the ACSBI Fellowships. The ACSBI offers a 12 months fellowship with a value of USD50,000 for beginning investigators. Preference will be given to projects with potential benefit to low- and middle-income countries.
The ACSBI fellowship emphasizes the transfer of knowledge from a host institute to the applicant and others at the fellow’s home institute. It offers the fellow the opportunity to be mentored by experts in their chosen field, receive hands on experience in population, behavioural, clinical or basic research, intellectual stimulation, research guidance, narrative transfer and many other opportunities to evolve scientifically and academically.
- 12 month international fellowship
- Award value of USD 50,000 for travel an stipend
- To foster a bi-directional flow of research knowledge, experience, expertise, and innovation between countries
- To support the promotion of cancer control in developing countries through epidemiology, cancer control and other areas of cancer research
- To advance the academic career development of beginning cancer investigators through translational, clinical, behavioural or population research projects
- Be a beginning investigator or clinician in the early stages of their independent investigator career and possessing a terminal*, advanced degree.
- Applicants must be in the early phases of their career and no longer under research mentoring.
- Hold an academic university or hospital position with an explicit commitment to return to the home institute
- Conduct the research project at not-for-profit institutions.
- Fellowships cannot be granted to candidates who are already physically present at the proposed host institute whilst their applications are under consideration.
Selection will be based on:
- the scientific evaluation of the research plan
- the value of the research to low- and middle-income countries
- the experience and qualifications of the candidate
- a telephone interview with the candidate
- the suitability of the host organization and host supervisor
- appropriate duration
- the availability of appropriate facilities and resources to apply and disseminate the acquired skills upon return to the home organization
Note: This is not a clinical training fellowship
For more information, visit ACSBI Fellowship.