United Nations Learning Exchange Opportunity at CIVICUS 2015 – Geneva, Switzerland
Deadline: June 30, 2015
CIVICUS has announced one United Nations (UN) Learning Exchange opportunity, sponsored by Irish Aid, focused on Strengthening the Voice of African Civil Society and human rights defenders in the international human rights system. The position will be based at the CIVICUS UN Office in Geneva from 7 September to 7 December 2015.
The World Alliance for Citizen Participation is a leading and diverse international civil society network, with members and partners in more than 120 countries. CIVICUS’ vision is a global community of active, engaged citizens committed to the creation of a more just and equitable world. CIVICUS’ mission is to strengthen citizen action and civil society throughout the world, especially in areas where participatory democracy and citizens’ freedom of association are threatened.
About the Internship
This Learning Exchange is designed to familiarize the candidate with the United Nations system and bring information pertaining to African civil society to the Human Rights Council (HRC), the Universal Periodic Review (UPR) process, and Special Procedures, (Special Rapporteurs and Working Groups are part of Special Procedures).
- During a three-month period, the candidate will be based in Geneva Switzerland, and work under the direct supervision of the Head of the Geneva Office.
- He/she will assist in the preparation of reports or statements and help to coordinate engagement during the 30th Session of the Human Rights Council, the 23rd UPR session, the Minority Forum and the Forum on Business and Human Rights.
- Additionally, the candidate will assist to organise side meetings for CIVICUS and partners with relevant officials from the OHCHR, particular Officers supporting the Special Rapporteurs, Governments with permanent missions in Geneva and NGO partners with permanent representatives in Geneva.
- Based in Geneva, the candidate will act as a bridge between civil society actors in Africa and Special Procedures as well as other human rights mechanisms, gathering, preparing and presenting reports on human rights issue thus keeping information affecting the region on the horizon at the UN through key engagements.
Interns will receive:
- accommodation in Geneva
- round trip airfare
- a stipend of €600 a month to cover living costs.
- A degree in Human Rights, International Affairs or a related field;
- Experience of working with human rights community in one or more African countries and a thorough knowledge of regional human rights issues within Africa;
- Fluency in English is essential, French would be an advantage;
- Demonstrated professionalism, diplomatic skills and analytical diligence;
- Willingness to travel to Geneva for three months.
How to Apply
To apply for this Learning Exchange opportunity, please send the following by email to [email protected].
- A copy of your current curriculum vitae (CV);
- A letter explaining your interest in this post, and what skills and experience you would bring;
- Contact details of three referees who we may contact if you are considered for this post.
Remember to quote the source of this advertisement. Tell them ‘Opportunity Desk’
For more information, visit CIVICUS United Nations Learning Exchange.