2016 MasterCard Foundation Scholarship For African Women (Wellesley College, USA)
Deadline: January 15, 2016
The Mastercard Foundation is pleased to announce its 2016 undergraduate Scholarship funds for African women,tenable at Wellesley College, USA. The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program is a $500 million global initiative to educate and develop next-generation leaders who will contribute to social and economic progress. The Program enables young people from economically disadvantaged communities to complete quality secondary and tertiary education, and make successful transitions to further education or the workforce in their home regions. Over the next 10 years, the Program will select 15,000 Scholars, primarily from Africa, who will be unified by a common philosophy of change and ethical leadership.
Wellesley College, known worldwide for its academic excellence, educates women who will make a difference in the world. The MasterCard Foundation is providing funding for a total of nine MasterCard Foundation Scholars at Wellesley over the next few years.
This scholarship is open to any African female student who is seeking tertiary education at Wellesley College.The MasterCard Foundation Scholars selected for the Program are:
- Academically talented: They value learning, and are driven to complete their education.
- Economically disadvantaged: They face significant barriers to accessing education.
- Committed to giving back: They apply what they learn to improve their communities.
- Future leaders: They are committed to embracing ethical leadership to improve the lives of others.
The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at Wellesley, a women’s college, goes beyond traditional scholarships. The holistic, four-year support includes:
- Comprehensive scholarships: Support for tuition, fees, books and supplies, room and meal plan, and more.
- 21st-century skills: Training in skill areas relevant to employment success.
- Transition assistance: Mentoring, career counseling, leadership development, and other life-skills coaching
- Internships and career opportunities: Access to job opportunities across the African continent
- Give-back support: Experiential learning and opportunities for volunteerism and community service
How to Apply
For detailed information on how to apply for admissions at Wellesley College, visit Wellesley Admissions.
- All applicants are required to take the SAT Reasoning and two Subject Tests or the ACT with Writing. Wellesley also strongly recommend that students for whom English is a second language and who have been studying in an Englishbased curriculum for less than five years take the TOEFL.
- Complete and Submit the Common Application for Wellesley College (including the Wellesleyspecific writing supplement).
- Submit Required Credentials.You might also apply under any of the Wellesley’s decision plans: Early Decision (November 1 deadline), Early Evaluation (January 1 deadline) or Regular Decision plan (January 15 deadline).
All applicants to Wellesley, who apply for financial aid and meet the criteria for The MasterCard Foundation Scholarship Program, will be considered for the Scholarship. You do not need to complete additional forms or take additional steps at this time.Finalist candidates for the Scholarship will be contacted by the Admission Office (after they submit their applications to Wellesley) and asked to conduct a Skype interview.
Even if you are not awarded this scholarship, Wellesley is committed to meeting 100% of demonstrated need for all admitted international citizens who have applied for financial aid during the admission process. Its purpose is to support highly qualified candidates who could not otherwise attend Wellesley.