Deadline: December 31, 2017
Applications for the 2018 Carrington Youth Fellowship Initiative (CYFI) are now open. The Fellowships seeks to develop a select group of young Nigerians into ethical and impactful leaders by connecting them with mentorship, networking, training and funding opportunities over the course of an intensive fellowship year.
The CYFI fellowship is built around year-long social innovation projects that are designed by fellows and supported by the U.S. Consulate and private partners. Following successful completion of their projects, fellows remain involved with CYFI and the U.S. Consulate through the CYFI Alumni Program.
Former U.S. Ambassador to Nigeria, Walter Carrington, was a champion of civil liberties, democracy and closer ties between the U.S. and Nigeria. CYFI invites applications from fellows who are committed to putting the ideals of Walter Carrington into practice. The CYFI Board of Directors will select fellows who demonstrate the exceptional passion, skill, experience, strategic thinking and vision necessary to implement their own innovative and impactful projects.
- Implement concrete, youth-oriented solutions to issues that concern you
- Access U.S. Government resources and contacts
- Catch the attention of American and Nigerian leaders in the public and private sectors
- Work alongside talented and motivated peers with diverse backgrounds, but similar visions
- Participate in CYFI Alumni Program
- Open to all citizens and permanent residents of Nigeria currently residing in Lagos.
- Teams of 2-4 fellows submit project proposals to the CYFI Board
- Projects should be achievable in scope and address a current issue in Nigeria
- CYFI Board supports fellows by working to connect them with resources and contacts
- Fellows work on their own time to implement projects
- End of year recognition ceremony for fellows
- Complete CYFI Project as part of 3-5 fellow project team
- Attend monthly project status meetings with CYFI Board of Directors
- Participate in roundtables, networking events, and teambuilding events
- Passion: You are committed to making a significant contribution to your community and country
- Skill & Experience: You have a unique set of skills and experiences that you can use to make an impact
- Strategic Thinking: You are excited about the opportunity to launch an innovative CYFI project.
You know how to design a project that is based on sound research, uses resources creatively, builds or improves on existing systems, and leverages partnerships with complimentary organizations
- Vision: You know the area of social change in which you would like to work, and you can articulate the positive change that you would like to make
- In addition to providing biographical information, applicants will be asked to complete a hypothetical scenario. All fields are required.
- You may save the application and return to it at a later time. Please note however that incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Interviews follow at the US Consulate, Lagos
To start the application, complete the form here.
For more information, visit Carrington Youth Fellowship.